• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2003 CAT 287B Interlock Control (help!)

Ron Burgundy

Banned
I have a machine that starts but sometimes won't move - tracks or loader. After starting the machine I drop the lap bar then press the parking brake/interlock control button to disconnect the parking brake and activate the hydraulic controls - as you're supposed to do. Occasionally I get full hydraulic operation but most of the time nothing. I know there is a safety switch on the lap bar. Are there any others? Seat, for instance?
Obviously, the interlock switch itself could be the cause. Any others? I'm waiting for advice before looking at it. Don't have any manuals to reference.

What I really want to do is bypass any safety switches, lap bar, etc. Yes, I know all the safety blah, blah - heard it dozens of times. I'm the only operator with no one anywhere near the machine and I don't need no freaking switches getting in the way (dammit)(LOL).

This is probably a dumb question but how do you bypass the switches. I assume it's just a matter of cutting a couple of wires and then joining them together. Since I haven't even looked at the switches yet I don't know how many wires there are or anything really - so instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert(bobbyvee)92

I'm probably in a similar situation but my 287B won't crank via key switch but will crank with key in run position and I lower the armrest and starter then remains engaged. Burned out the starter.

ozarkag

Don't believe you'll be able to bypass all safety switches, newer machines need to see switches change state to unlock. On your machine I would check for a seat switch problem first.