• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 CAT 307C slow/weak hydraulics

Rilezz

Hello all!
So I am newish to owning/running equipment (was a crane mechanic for several years) and I recently purchased a 307C with 5200hrs on it. It was owned by a local privet water district and very well maintained. I have been putting it to use on my farm and the first few weeks it was operating very "quick" (hard to judge with no base line) and smooth. Recently I have noticed that operating multiple functions feels very slow and sometimes wont even actuate the function. Also traveling seems to struggle if I try to spin in place on hard flat ground. The engine still runs strong, no bogging or stalling, and the hyd oil and temps are clean and cool. The unit has the severe duty hyd thumb and blade. I have searched the forums and the googles with minimal success. Any thoughts or help is very much appreciated!

Rilezz

so now im noticing that my left track is slightly weaker than the right and going up hill is a struggle. The engine maintains RPM though. Hopefully someone can help...

seville009

i’m a homeowner that bought a Hitachi EX60-URG in 2009 for just personal use on my land. Had roughly 4,900 hours on it. It always acted like you describe - one track was slower than the other, one function would rob power if used simultaneously. Just kept the rpm’s up.

i just assumed that’s just the way it was due to age, etc. and got used to it.

When i bought it, i did have a mobile mechanic cone out and change all the fluids and filters (didn’t change the hydraulic fluid though i don’t think).

only suggestion is make sure your hydraulic fluid is full, and maybe change the hydraulic filter(s).

Rilezz

i’m a homeowner that bought a Hitachi EX60-URG in 2009 for just personal use on my land. Had roughly 4,900 hours on it. It always acted like you describe - one track was slower than the other, one function would rob power if used simultaneously. Just kept the rpm’s up.

i just assumed that’s just the way it was due to age, etc. and got used to it.

When i bought it, i did have a mobile mechanic cone out and change all the fluids and filters (didn’t change the hydraulic fluid though i don’t think).

only suggestion is make sure your hydraulic fluid is full, and maybe change the hydraulic filter(s).
Thank you I will try replacing the filter and see how it goes.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have any idea when was the last time the hydraulic oil & filters were last changed.? If the answer is no then it’s probably about time to get in there.

Do you have a manual and are you aware of all the filter/screen locations in the implement hydraulic system.? Hint: It’s more than one.....

Rilezz

Do you have any idea when was the last time the hydraulic oil & filters were last changed.? If the answer is no then it’s probably about time to get in there.

Do you have a manual and are you aware of all the filter/screen locations in the implement hydraulic system.? Hint: It’s more than one.....

I do have a manual (but not sure it has this info) and will look into those screens. I am going to change the oil and filters for the HYD system hopefully this weekend. Thank you for the recommendations.

Nige

I do have a manual (but not sure it has this info) and will look into those screens. I am going to change the oil and filters for the HYD system hopefully this weekend. Thank you for the recommendations.
If it’s a Cat Manual you need to look at the sections for changing the main & pilot implement filter elements, and the cleaning of the suction screen inside the tank when the hydraulic oil is changed.

Rilezz

If it’s a Cat Manual you need to look at the sections for changing the main & pilot implement filter elements, and the cleaning of the suction screen inside the tank when the hydraulic oil is changed.
Thank you for your help! I will report back when I get this done.

Nige

It might also pay you to cut open the filters that you remove and check them for the presence of particles that might indicate a bigger problem. A Youtuber by the name of Adept Ape has a good "how to" video. Although he shows an engine oil filter the technique is the same.

Rilezz

It might also pay you to cut open the filters that you remove and check them for the presence of particles that might indicate a bigger problem. A Youtuber by the name of Adept Ape has a good "how to" video. Although he shows an engine oil filter the technique is the same.
I will dig into that for sure. Would you happen to know what the service manual code is for my SN? BCM00229