• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 90Xt with problems

jacked93

So I made the rookie mistake of buying a case 90xt sight unseen and boy does it need some work. Hoping that some of you can guide me through where to start. I am mechanically inclined and owned an 85xt in the past, but I am wishing I didn't buy this one and need some help.

1. I removed about 10 gallons of oil soaked dirt and crud from the floor plan. Found 2 fairly large diamter(3/4" ish) hoses that are disconnected and capped. Any idea where they go?
    AF1QipO9inep7fnRwUIXUSNMaaZpOlP-lq2WFQObg2d0
    kRflZVOcpHOTQw7u2
    mejDw10icBhm0goH3
    iSXy0y
  2. The 2 speed function does not work at all, push the button and nothing happens. Parking brake button does not work either, but does function with lap bar.
  3. The hydraulics function, but seem very slow, I am going to change both filters and the fluid to see if this helps, but any other suggestions? Does anyone have the part numbers for both filters? I can only seem to find one on parts sites.
I appreciate the help

Attachments

• IMG_6894.jpg
    IMG_6894.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6886.jpg
    IMG_6886.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

franklinute

I own a 2000 90XT. You definitely have a mess to clean out. If the floor is that filthy then the fuse
block is probably nasty too. All functions operate thru the fuses and relays. I do not recognize the hydraulic
hoses. I have had several of the oringed fittings vibrate loose and leak.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
1. The lines in your picture appear to be coolant lines, probably for the cab floor heater.
2. Tilt the cab and look at the travel motors. See if the 2 speed cylinder is moving when you push the 2 speed button. The 2 speed linkage is prone to wearing out, and rounding off. If the 2 speed cylinder doesn't move, then check your fuses, and the joystick and joystick wiring.
3. Hydraulic functions are probably slow due to a worn out gear pump. It has a priority valve to the travel pumps, so as the pumps wear, the hydraulic functions slow down.

jacked93

You were absolutely right about them being coolant hoses. I didn’t see any controls so didn’t think it had a heater but at some time it must have. I just spent 5 hours digging and pressure washing oil and mud out of the bottom.

I’m assuming the 2 speed is the connecting rod looking item on the top of the drive motor? I’ll check the wiring and fuses tomorrow. There are lots of wires that have been disconnected or spliced together.

I just noticed that the sight level for the hydraulic fluid is over full. I’m planning to change the fluid and both filters tomorrow. Does the overfilling cause problems?

GaryHoff

Occupation
Yes, the 2 speed is the connecting rod on top of the drive motors.

Its ok if the hydraulic tank is a little overfull, if its too full it will come out of the fill cap. It shouldn't be any more than 3/4 in the sight glass with the loader arms up.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
you may want to cut open a hydraulic filter and just see where you stand with this machine, if pumps and motors are trading metal. Then step back and take a deep breath before continuing

jacked93

I was able to get everything cleaned out from the belly of the machine and changed both hydraulic filters and fluid this weekend. Didn't look too bad and didn't see any metal. The wiring is kind of hacked up though. I replaced the fuses for the 2 speed and e-brake. When driving you can feel a slight "thud" when you press the 2 speed button, but the machine doesn't shift into second gear and the connecting rods don't move. So not sure if something is jammed or what the deal is. The e-brake does not work even with a new fuse. I need to track down a manual so I can find out where all the wires go.

Attachments

• IMG_6940.jpg
    IMG_6940.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6939.jpg
    IMG_6939.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6938.jpg
    IMG_6938.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6937.jpg
    IMG_6937.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 22

jacked93

JAF398168

Any thoughts on why the 2 speed isn't moving when the button is pressed, but seems to try? Is it common they can become stuck? Any tips on freeing them up?

GaryHoff

Occupation
You should connect a gauge to make sure your getting proper pressure to the 2 speed cylinder.
The more common issue is the 2 speed linkages rounding off at the motors. Not very common for the 2 speed to get stuck at the motor. If you think the 2 speed is stuck at the motors, you could remove the linkages, and turn it by hand with a wrench. Its more likely that the 2 speed cylinder is bad, or not getting pressure.