• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 Isuzu NPR

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I'm not so sure the IP has to be removed. The tilt cab gives good access to any IP repair work needed, and I can't see where complete IP removal is needed. But you need to talk to an IP shop that deals with Zexel IP's and find out the exact process and cost required to re-install the CSD, and to retime the pump advance correctly.
Busby Truck Parts seems to be pretty knowledgable on the 4HE1 engine, they have YooToob videos showing the 4HE1 IP removal/replacement and timing the pump to the engine - but nothing as regards that CSS.

TVA

Maybe I don’t know what I am talking about - but I don’t see how cold start can cause no start.
Do you have fuel in the case of that IP?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I'm not so sure the IP has to be removed. The tilt cab gives good access to any IP repair work needed, and I can't see where complete IP removal is needed. But you need to talk to an IP shop that deals with Zexel IP's and find out the exact process and cost required to re-install the CSD, and to retime the pump advance correctly.
Busby Truck Parts seems to be pretty knowledgable on the 4HE1 engine, they have YooToob videos showing the 4HE1 IP removal/replacement and timing the pump to the engine - but nothing as regards that CSS.
Okay thank you for your help and the information. I will have to do some research on what shops close to me that knows anything about these pump.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Ok guys I got the (CSA) solenoid back in by removing end plate and getting it to go back in place.

Now back to original problem. The fuel shutoff isn’t working. I disconnected the cable from the lever and engine started after bleeding system. My question now is where is the relay that controls the fuel shutoff?

R8f1k

I took the CSA solenoid out as well, thinking it was the fuel shut off, which end plate do you take off?

I recently bought a 2003 Isuzu NPR crew cab to use for hauling my equipment. 4HE-XS engine. Decent shape, did run, but has issues. My problem right now is as follows. I drove it home, died. Wouldn’t restart.

Used a towbar and dragged it home. Pushed it into the shop and started the process of replacing the old lift pump. Previous owner provided a new one so I installed a new pump. I also installed an electric fuel pump right above the tank to prime the system. I can bleed the system, but it takes a very long time.

Yesterday I was able to get it to run, this morning, nothing. Lost the prime. I can’t get fuel up to the injectors. I pulled what I thought was the fuel shut off solenoid and bench tested. Works. Tried to put the solenoid back in, nope. Having the same problem as the thread author. I bet I can get it back in if I know what to do.

I don’t get fuel up to the injectors and it won’t start. I need to get it running so I can use my laser thermometer to see which injector is bad because she throws white smoke on acceleration. Any ideas?

Delmer

I know nothing about that solenoid, or the internals of the pump, follow the advice given to get it back, then, don't touch the pump. Check the fuel inlet to the transfer pump for a banjo bolt with a screen screwed inside the hollow bolt. Then check the water separator, bypass it for testing purposes. Replace any original rubber fuel suction lines. The transfer pump should move fuel through the pump and to the return to the tank, then it should start, and run. Run it for a few hours on fresh biodiesel before you dig into the injectors.

R8f1k

I will get it back in. I have replaced the hoses already. I don’t know which pump is the transfer pump. Is that also the lift pump? If it is, I replaced the screen that is on the inlet side. I get plenty of fuel flowing out of the bleed screw on the back of the injector pump. I don’t think I am getting fuel to return to the tank, what should I look for?

There is a banjo on the side of the injector pump that has a much thinner line coming out of it and it heads to the top of the injectors.

I should add, that there is only one banjo line coming into the side of the lift pump. There are 4 ports on top of the lift pump and one large plugged port on the opposite side of the banjo line coming into the pump. Should there be a return coming out of the lift pump?

Just curious, why biodiesel?

R8f1k

Hello.. all ya gotta do is get access to the front cover.. remove it and put the solenoid back in..
It’s already set.. all ya gotta do is scoop the rack on top of the solenoid “leg”..
Can you send a photo or diagram of what cover needs to be removed? Is it towards the rear of the injection pump?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The end plate is right between the bell housing and the injection pump. There are 5 5mm allen head screws that hold the plate on.

Delmer

biodiesel is a powerful solvent and gunk dissolver, until it gets old, then it turns to gunk. yes, transfer pump and lift pump are the same thing.

R8f1k

I have a half a tank of diesel in it now. I will pump some out and put in 5 gallons of bio diesel. Not going to get o to it today, but I can do it tomorrow afternoon.

R8f1k

Ok, I was able to sneak out to the shop and disconnect the return line going to the tank, no flow with the electric pump on, ignition key off. Same with key on. I blew air into the line and fuel will come out at the injector pump with the return banjo bolt lose. Should I see fuel circulating with the banjo bolt open? If so, what would prevent that?

Attachments

• 617107F6-8C74-4127-BFD5-56940F817823.jpeg
    617107F6-8C74-4127-BFD5-56940F817823.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Delmer

The electric pump is probably 5PSI, the lift pump on the side of the injector pump is made for that pump, it's a small piston driven off the cam and is in the 20-30PSI range to overcome the relief/regulating valve. It doesn't surprise me that the electric pump won't return fuel. The lift pump should as far as I know, either priming or cranking.