• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 Isuzu NPR

R8f1k

It's a purely mechanical injection system. The only electrical interface, of consequence, is the fuel shut off cable.
Unless someone has installed an electric shutoff solenoid in the fuel line.

Earlier, I suggested disconnecting the muffler, as, technically, it's a catalytic converter of sorts. They can get plugged/ restricted.
Ok, I'm going to remove the muffler as well.

R8f1k

I've been an interested bystander in this since the start. FWIW I would be ruling out a problem in the tank before going any further, even if that meant taking it off and turning it upside down. If something is floating around in there it could easily be producing the symtoms you are experiencing.
Well, you were right. The most logical way to approach a lack of fuel, start at the tank. I drilled a hole in a 5 gallon bucket, put in a fitting, ran a hose to the electric fuel pump, bled the system. Started right up and ran. RAN for over an hour. Started to clear up a little too in regards to the white smoke.

It blows white smoke when I accelerate, but it is starting to have a little RPM as well. Doesn't stumble as bad it did before. I ran about 2 gallons of new diesel in it, a couple ounces of Howe's Meaner and Kleaner. Seems to be working on getting that injector a little better than it was.

I'm hoping to find some biodiesel, but I can't find any in my area. Seems like one of those things that you see all the time, but can't find when you need it.

I have a side tank as well on the unit, I plan on cleaning it out, putting a new sender in it and give it a try.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP UP TO THIS POINT!!!!!!

R8f1k

So.....Here is my issue. The tank is full of sludge. Like a LOT. I can get quite a bit out by hand, but it does not dissolve with gasoline or mineral spirits. I have a pretty potent degreaser that seems to work pretty good, but I need to get this thing clean. Any thoughts?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here is my issue. The tank is full of sludge.
Had the fuel in the tank when this all started (not the fresh fuel you added since) been in there for an extended period of time.?

Is it really "sludge" or algae growth.? Does it have a greenish tinge.? You need to consider the possibility. If it is algae the treatment process will be totally different.

Last edited:

R8f1k

Had the fuel in the tank when this all started (not the fresh fuel you added since) been in there for an extended period of time.?

Is it really "sludge" or algae growth.? Does it have a greenish tinge.? You need to consider the possibility. If it is algae the treatment process will be totally different.
No idea how long this truck sat, but it sat. No idea what this stuff is on the bottom of the tank. Not really a green tinge, but nothing really dissolves it that I have laying around. Could be algae, but not sure. How do you tell?

Delmer

The stuff in the tank most likely came from the fuel itself, either algae growing or the fuel breaking down and forming crud. That same old fuel was in the pump and injectors and they are coated with the same bits. It might work through without problems, or it might not. I've never seen permanent damage from this sort of thing, but I'm not a pump expert either. I've certainly seen injection pumps ruined by waste vegetable oil, which is one possibility for what you have, depending on who you bought it from, or just old biodiesel blend.

R8f1k

And somehow you don't think that all the cr@p you found in the tank wasn't also there before you bought it.?
That’s what I am saying. I’m betting the issue I have with the injectors is related to all of the stuff in the tank.

heymccall

$300 gets 4 new injectors, but, if you're fortunate like me, you'll have a local injection shop that can test them. Until the fuel supply is cleaned up, it would all be for naught.

R8f1k

I have a shop nearby that rebuilds pumps and injectors. The smoke has cleared up a lot since the other day. I'm going to run the truck for a few hours and see what happens.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
$300 gets 4 new injectors, but, if you're fortunate like me, you'll have a local injection shop that can test them. Until the fuel supply is cleaned up, it would all be for naught.
Agreed. First get the tank cleaned out and treated with biocide on the assumption that you have algae present. It can't hurt even if the "sludge" is nothing more than contamination from dodgy quality/stale fuel.

Then fit all new fuel filters and clean out any screens that might be in the system between the tank and the fuel inlet to the IP. You'll probably need extra filters if you do not get 100% of the sludge out of the tank, which you most likely won't. The filters are where it will land.

Get some fresh fuel in it and see how it goes from there.

Oh, and maybe do a check of the valve adjustment at some point BEFORE you start thinking about pulling injectors.

R8f1k

Agreed. First get the tank cleaned out and treated with biocide on the assumption that you have algae present. It can't hurt even if the "sludge" is nothing more than contamination from dodgy quality/stale fuel.

Then fit all new fuel filters and clean out any screens that might be in the system between the tank and the fuel inlet to the IP. You'll probably need extra filters if you do not get 100% of the sludge out of the tank, which you most likely won't. The filters are where it will land.

Get some fresh fuel in it and see how it goes from there.

Oh, and maybe do a check of the valve adjustment at some point BEFORE you start thinking about pulling injectors.
Here is my current plan. I have pulled out about 80% of the sludge with my hands. It sat overnight with Zep Purple Degreaser in it and LOTS of stuff loosened up. I drained that out this morning, filled with 5 gallons of E85 and it has really softened things up. I am going to drain and fill it again with E85 two more times. In the meantime, I will keep running the truck out of a 5 gallon bucket and new diesel. I am going to replace all of the plumbing to and from the tank. I am going to reinstall the tank, fill with Biocide and new diesel and run for several days at my farm. Change the filters and repeat. If the injectors don't clear up, pull them and I will take them to a shop for rebuilding.

R8f1k

Tank is clean, running much better than before. Going to have a local shop rebuild the injectors, they are better, but still not the best.