• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 DT466E MIssing

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
Hello: I have the above named truck. It was running fine until the other day. I was moving my backhoe when it started sputtering losing power and blowing out blue smoke at times. I had to fight it to my destination and barely made it there. I changed the cam position sensor to no avail. Now it seems to have a steady miss. I've order a map sensor and am going to change the oil soon. Fuel filter hasn't got 200 miles on it and I replaced the primer pump and cleaned the screen before the fuel filter. This was done at the same time the fuel filter was changed. Not throwing any codes that I know of, but the button on the dash doesn't work. I unplugged the ICS no warning light. I unplugged the Map and the warning light came on. Plugged it back in and warning light went off

Sorry about being so long winded, but I wanted to cover everything I tried.

Any Ideas.
Thanks, Terry

walkerv

My quick and dirty check on those engines for an actuall miss , is to start it cold and i touch each outlet on the exhuast looking for one not getting hot i suppose you could use one of those fancy heat.measuring guns also but i just use my hand . What you desribed at first sounded like a fuel starving issue or air getting in the system.... those injectors are known to crack the tip if air gets in them but the result tends to be a miss with massive black smoke when triing to rev engine . Also you need to check your fuel pressure at the schrader fitting on the fuel filter housing to be sure it is in spec

tpitt

Occupation
Haven't had a chance to try any of this yet. It's been pouring down rain, but supposed to be good next week.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
What Walkerv suggested is good, if you dont have a temp gun, put a good thick line on each runner at the head with a crayon. Watch for one that dont melt.

tpitt

Occupation
Thanks, When it dries out a little I'm going to try these solutions.

tpitt

Occupation
Update. Number one was dead. Swapped with number two and it warmed up. Did the hand trick. It appears that someone had changed four of the injectors. It was one of the old ones which was bad, so I'm just replacing the two old ones. Hope it doesn't bite me!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Piecemeal will usually buy you problems as noted four appear changed and two had not, consider that awhile unless you know when the other four were swapped.

tpitt

Occupation
Piecemeal will usually buy you problems as noted four appear changed and two had not, consider that awhile unless you know when the other four were swapped.
I did think about this, and know I'm taking a chance. Hopefully I wont have to go back in there soon. I sure appreciate the advice though.