• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2000 Peterbilt N14 cummins engine problem

Dig_Texas

Got a 2000 Pete 378 with a N14 red top Cummins. Today when I was coming back empty from dropping off the backhoe, it would not go faster than 50MPH. It would accelerate fine with plenty of power up to 2000 RPM until 9th gear. In 9th gear, as soon as it hit 50MPH, it seemed as though it was speed governed and everything would die until the speed dropped off and then it would power up again. The RPM's at 50MPH in 9th gear was about 1500. I tried to drive in 10th, but as soon as the speed hit 50MPH (1200 RPM in 10th) it hit the wall again, would cut off until the speed dropped and then it would fire up again until it hit 50.

I've called around to some shops that can plug into the computer next week but thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has had a similar issue and offer some suggestions.

The worst part was this as a long haul (for me) thru Friday night madness on I35 all the way thru Dallas to the OK border where the shop is.

trucker1

Did you get any warning lights on the dash either when this happened or just before??? I don't know how a Pete is set up, but if you get an electronic warning, as in low water, or something else, it will derate the engine at a certain point, as in the 50 mph, or if the computer is set to shut down, after a certain amount of time it will shut the engine down. Do you know how to check the engine codes, does your truck have a check engine or engine diagnostic switch?? My Western Star did the same thing, low water, put more in and it was fine. If mine plugs the fuel filters, it will be running fine, then start to stumble real bad on acceleration, not just at a top speed.

George

Dig_Texas

Got an update on the truck situation. I took it to a local truck shop, they plugged it in. It was not throwing any codes so the shop manager took it for a drive. He thought it was a fuel filter problem also, changed the filter and still not working correctly. Plugged the reader back in to look at the ECM parameters. The previous owner set the speed to 60MPH max, although I'm still not sure why 50 is the max speed. Shop owner said it could be a speedometer error causing it to hit the speed limit feature prematurely. Secondly, they have the cruise turned off.

Next week I'll have to limp over to another facility that has the capability to change parameters on Cummins Insite PLUS pay for a new password.

Couple of questions, I've been researching rebuilt ECM's and see some highly recommended rebuilts that would cost about $1400 after my core charge. If I decided not to take it to the shop I would save another $300-$400, considering fuel cost, shop time and ECM password cost. Is this a route anyone would recommend?

Other than the ECM issue, the shop owner commented that it seems like a pretty good truck.