• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2000 JLG 450A

JLGRI

Hello Team, I just received a nice 450A today. I was able to unload it from the delivery truck but after an hour a few of the functions stopped working. I read through a bunch of threads and thought my issue was different enough to ask on its own thread. I will document all fixes to hopefully provide some future value to others.

A: Ground controls all seem to work fine. I tried the self diag button and it came back with code 1.2.3 = tps sensor , so i will look into that.

B: Basket, I have 3 issues.
1: boom will extend but not retract

2: slow and fast speed toggle (bang bang) switch seems ineffective.

3: When you step on the dead mans pedal the lift instantly tries to drives reverse from the steering wheels and the fixed axle seems locked/brakes on. If you engage the reverse joystick then step on the pedal all wheels seems to drive. Also, the lift will not drive forward, only reverse despite joystick input. Steering does function correctly.

Any thoughts on what to check for? the instant reverse has me really stumped. both joysticks appear to be new. So i will have to check to see if they are the correct versions.

thanks for any suggestions.

ben-

SR-71

Ben - I purchased a used JLG T500J about a year ago. Perhaps some of my experiences may benefit you. First, go through the manual and make sure the hydraulic fluid level is correct, and the hydraulic fluid filter is clean, and you don't have any hydraulic leaks. Then I'd recommend contacting JLG and see if they offer a hand held analyzer for your model. If so, definitely buy it. The Analyzer for my T500J was fairly inexpensive and is an excellent troubleshooting tool.

Also recently I was having a tech replace a couple of its hydraulic hoses that had become sun cracked. After the hose replacement the Lift became "stuck" and wouldn't do anything. The tech was stumped for awhile, then he decided to release the pressure valve at the hydraulic pump (I think this was the emergency release valve for pumping the Lift down manually). Once he did that the Lift started working perfectly again and it hasn't gotten stuck since.

Also look at the electrical connections very carefully. I ended up having to replace the main control cable from the ground control panel to the cage because of faulty connections (my Analyzer found the bad connections).

Hope you find this information helpful.

Butch

JLGRI

Ben -

Hope you find this information helpful.

Butch
Butch, thank you for your help any and all help is definitely appreciated. I did see the JLG analyzers on ebay and reached out to them to see if my model qualifies. I have watched a few videos and the ability to see if the connections are OPEN or CLOSED makes the tool pay for itself very quickly. I will work on these points now.

ben-