• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2000 D4C XL Hystat HOLE in the engine block

Heavy Chevy

I don't know anything about a CAT 3046 engine that this D4C has in it but in doing a few searches, it appears that a new or reman engine could run easiily $12-17k. Does anyone have any knowledge of finding a good 3046 block or a cheaper solution?

Tyler d4c

I've built 2 of these engines and have torn down 3 or 4 trying for parts most of then the rod nuts come lose and then they self destruction from what I've seen 3 or 4 years ago it cost 8 or 9 thousand to build one and that was with me doing the wrench pulling. I also loctited the rod nuts.

Heavy Chevy

Wow, was it hard finding another engine block? I'm gonna call salvage yard tomorrow to see what I can come across. Any idea if there are different 3046 blocks thar are interchangeable?

Tyler d4c

The one I bought a new block from cat the other we found used use maxiforce cranks and rebuild kits in both and both had atleast one rod from them and the other got all 6 new from the same supplier

jmmybuckles

The one I bought a new block from cat the other we found used use maxiforce cranks and rebuild kits in both and both had atleast one rod from them and the other got all 6 new from the same supplier
Where did you find a used block from? And where did you but the rebuild kit from?