• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

20 ton digger on silage pit

SteveT

Was thinking about useing my track digger on the silage pit when i am filling it. The job is normally done with 4wd 120hp tractor which weighs about 5 ton. The silage would be made from grass and needs to be well compacted. Not sure if a digger would be good for rolling as it has low ground pressure but it has massive weight. What do the rest of you think

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
i think it would work, i mean i walk stuff down with an excavator all the time, and they do a good job at compacting whatevers underneath them, especially a 40,000lb machine

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
It would work just great.

All that extra weight would pack a lot deeper into the pit than the tractor does, so you could place thicker layers between packing passes and get the same job done. Or, you could pack just as often, and pack it a lot tighter than the tractor.

That is as long as the machine doesn't get stuck!

Good luck

Lashlander

I don't think you'd like the result. We always packed our pits with a little 80 horse tractor and it worked perfect. One year we had a bunch of Peas and Oats and the stuff was to slick to work with the tractor. Stuck all the time. We worked the pit with a D6. We really worked it good but still had a lot of burn. Grass may have a different result than Oats though. We usually just packed Alfalfa. I don't think any crawler machine will point load like a rubber tired machine.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
The Tractor will proberly have a higher ground pressure than the digger, even a 20 tonner!
We did pull silage back from the edges with a digger. great for that but needed to rolled with the tractor after1

hvy 1ton

I've seen it done with a cat 320CLU. I don't really know how well it works, but it wasn't the first time they did it either.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
There is a farm around here that does it with a PC220. They have been doing it for at least 5 years now so must work decent for them.

mitch504

A track machine provides much less compaction than a wheel machine 25 percent of it's weight. A wheel machine's rolling action is a major part of it.

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Ive seen excavators used on silage stacks back in Kiwi land.

Hendrik

Use the bucket to pack it down.
Or you can use the bucket to lift the front of the ex up and use only the real part of the tracks for compaction.
The main thing with compaction is not to try and compact too thick a layer.
Although what you really need is a loader with sheepfoot wheels:)