• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2 way radios

wrc

Any one out there still using 2way radios much? both local gravel pits use cb radios for load info and to talk with the scale house for ticket/job info. I am getting ready to outfit my new dump truck with a radio set up and was considering a ssb radio so maybe I could use the USB or lsb to avoid all the static and chatter vs buying a dedicated business radio system. I'd like to be able to talk truck to truck within my company and avoid all the garbage on radios now days. plus the ssb offers 12 watt of power vs 4 watt for regular cb. any opinions advice or suggestions welcomed please

still learn'n

We use business band radios we have mainly Kenwoods but having a hard time finding people that know there stuff to work on them! We are in the 400 frequency range! Jerry

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lantraxco

The business band is tremendously better IF you can get setup with a reliable repeater company, and as Still Learn'n sez, can find a tech to set them up right and keep them all connecting. They are good direct, but the repeaters give you a huge working range.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I do this kind of work on the side. You definitely need a repeater in Coos bay but may not need one in Kansas.

What is the range of your operation and what kind of trucks?

SSB on a CB is not likely to be much better than regular AM.

Hopefully there is a competent 2 way shop within range of you. This is not really a DIY project. Almost every step of the process requires fiddling and test equipment and the experience of having done it many times before to know what compromise solution works best. Every truck is different.

Kenwood is our favorite product line by far.

hvy 1ton

There is a shop in Seneca that i think does good work. I look at the sticker on the radios all the time, but i can't remember their name atm. We don't have any repeaters, but get decent range out of them. Of course, when i need to reach out i head for a hilltop.