• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 Ford LT9000 tandem dump truck

MG84

That truck needs a tag axle . . . look at all that room, you could almost squeeze two under there, make it a quad!
lol I imagine that's what most people would do. For the type of work I do a nice 4' tool box on each side, or tool box/fuel tank would be more useful. All that is on the drawing board, tires and hitch are next.

skyking1

The company truck has 100 gallons of red fuel on the left side and the pump is in the box on the right. It sure beats packing cans or bringing another truck with the tank in it, when you are driving the dump truck day to day.

Tyler d4c

The company truck has 100 gallons of red fuel on the left side and the pump is in the box on the right. It sure beats packing cans or bringing another truck with the tank in it, when you are driving the dump truck day to day.
With the red on the truck does the dot ever give a hassle

skyking1

never. They can stick the truck tank and it will come up clean. I think that the guy before me had that happen once.
They have test sticks that will show the smallest bit of dye.

cfherrman

I wonder how much? I filled a 55 gal drum with red once and emptied it into a off road truck, filled it back up with clear and no red in sight.

JaredV

I've often wondered that, too. I've had to change filters in the middle of the day and had nothing but red fuel in available to fill them with.

cfherrman

I'll probably never get pulled over, different service than you guys.

I was always told a little that die goes a long ways but apparently 55 gallons it doesn't go at all

Truck Shop

It's only a 10K fine the first time around---roll the dice, life is just a crap shoot.

cfherrman

A couple jobs ago I was filling road diesel in a oilfield pulling unit, owners nephew tells me I need to put red it, I refused. He tells me all sorts of bs about tax exempt and a bunch of stuff I actually know 100% about while someone else might not. Fact is they changed it around 2007-08 that you could not run red diesel in pulling units anymore. He made such a a huffy.

skyking1

I can't believe how perfectly it scalloped that window out of the back of that van. I don't think it hurt sheet metal that bad.

Queenslander

Sadly, it looks like that is likely an Aussie truck as the door is on the LHS, away from oncoming traffic.
Can only be put down to operator error as there is no way the door can come open if it is closed properly.
In the case of our water truck, we have the door securely bolted to the body but would have to remove it if operating in town.

Last edited: