• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 JLG 45HA repair questions

DirtyHoe

Lug nut mystery....

Ordered several new JLG 1/2-20 lug nuts(part #3300012). They showed up in original packaging, but they are a 60-degree cone. The parts manual does not show any other version of lug nuts. My rims appear to be original since they have 3 different colors of paint like the rest of the machine. The date stamp on the rims(9 hole pattern) is the same age as the machine(1996). The rims are stamped "16.5X9.75 DOT 06/95" and the tires are 12X16.5.
I read that you should NOT mismatch the tapers because they will work loose.
I checked the rim countersink with a protractor and it is definitely 90-degrees. So what is going on here?
Where can I find the correct one? I haven't found any online, but there are lots of 9/16 & 5/8 inch ones available.

Thanks,
Steve

Lug nuts.jpg

DirtyHoe

On the top of page 2 of this thread, I was looking for a new vacuum delay. OFF was kind enough to send me one from a stash of old but new parts. I decided to dissect my old one. Inside it's mostly an empty cavity with a prefilter, destroyed gasket, and a very fine mesh screen that slows down the vacuum. It was pretty goopy inside with probably 23 years of fuel vapors passing through it.

While looking for some other engine parts I finally located a good JLG part number if one ever needs this gizmo. It's called a vacuum delay, but JLG calls it a fuel separator filter part #2120112.

Steve

vacuum delay.jpg

Reactions: OFF

adoll

Have a JLG 45HA. I have a question about steering. Pump pressure is only 500 lbs.at steering port. Is pump pressure regulated by restriction at steering control. I adjust it in and out and it changes nothing. I put on a new steering control about 5 years ago and it worked good.

DirtyHoe

I have a couple of questions on how the propane system works. What does the adjustable large screw with a jam nut do on the intake? The hose is coming from the propane regulator(Beam Model 60).
Does the filterlock have a replaceable filter inside? Does it ever need to be serviced? I rebuilt the carburetor and want to finish any other loose ends.
The Ford VSG411 and the JLG manual do not address the propane system at all. Is there a manual on how to calibrate this system?

Thanks,
Steve Propane.jpg Propane1.JPG

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hi Steve, That locking screw is for setting the fuel mixture on the propane. Pretty crude system really, doesn't allow for any variation of fuel with load or engine speed. The proper way to set it would be using a CO meter (measures carbon monoxide) in the exhaust and shoot for about .2 PPM. under load. Now, in the real world, you want to set it for the best power under full load at full RPM (driving). If your engine stumbles/misses/dies under load, open up that screw about 1/2 turn at a time until the engine is performing properly. Don't just go crank it all the way open because propane has a very narrow window of flammability. Too rich doesn't run, it won't light. Very frustrating situation to get into. I've never seen a manual that addresses propane from either Ford Industrial or JLG. All propane systems have a filter or two somewhere, there's a lot of garbage (wax) in propane.
Good luck!
Dave

DirtyHoe

Torque hub question:
I reassembled my torque hubs and the 3 gears have to be timed. The manual says to do a roll test with their roll check tool. Basically use their special tool to spin the hub(both directions) at least the same amount of revolutions as the gear ratio(mine is 24). Since I don't have the tool would it be the same to spin the hubs instead of the input shaft?

Thanks,
Steve