• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 Ford L9000 - Wireing or Sensor Problem - Both brake lts and cruise not working??

Debris Dave

We recently moved this truck across the country. When I reached Tx. the brake lights stopped working. Then two days later I lost all lights and cruise. I ran a new ground and was able to restore all lights but the brake lights, and the cruise is still not functioning. Can anyone help with this???

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Air brakes or juice? Either way check the brake light switch for proper operation.

johndeere123

Im not sure about the cruise, but for the brake lights I would start at the switch on the outside of the firewall and make sure all is good there, then the signal lever in the cab, and if its neither of those, Im pretty sure that truck uses fuseable links in the wiring. I think we had a 9000 in the shop a while ago with the same light problem and it was a fuseable link. I think it was under the passenger side of the cab if I remember correctly.

Debris Dave

A little more info - Sorry I didn't ask these questions the first time.

I looked at the fuseable links (they are inside the cab behind the passenger seat). They all looked intact. There are (what appears) to be two valves or some type of switches under the hood. One has two wires and one has three. Can anyone tell me what there function is, and can I bypass one for testing purposes. Also can air pressure affect the brake lights? Are the cruise and brake lights on the same circuit?? :Banghead

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
air pressure can affect brake lights on some trucks. the cruise is tied in with your brake switch so when you step on the brakes, your cruise will cancel out