• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1995 volvo L180 rpm speed

zlssefi

In the last few storms my guys have been saying that our l180 loader hasn't been spinning enough rpms. They tell me that the screen shows 1900 rpms at max throttle and say it seems a tick down on power. Ive checked the pedal adjustment and it appears to be coming all the way to the stop on the injection pump. Do you guys have any other ideas as to why it may not be coming up to full rpm?? Thanks!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Should be bumping 22-2300 RPM high free idle. I'm guessing your not getting full travel on throttle linkage, shut off lever is not 100%returning to fuel on or your starving for fuel. Is your slurry bowl full of water and muck?
Serial number or at least machine series helps a lot.

zlssefi

Slurry bowl has been cleaned and is spotless. Fuel filters have about 100 hrs on them. I thought those could be getting tight, but the machine gives us no starting issues, doesnt skip etc.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So what series are we working with. Straight, C, D early E. Have you checked the bell crank throttle under the cab. The pivot likes to corrode and give up travel right there.

zlssefi

Straight 180. I checked the bell crank and it moves freely with your fingers, the adjustment there is bottomed out which is odd. Ive owned the machine since 2011 and have never touched it.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I highly doubt the pump is at issue, but to confirm , have your operator floor the throttle while observing the rpm. Then reach in and see if you can push the lever further and gain any engine speed. If your firmly against the stop, its pump, if not, cable and linkage.
If its pump related, we have to check flow. It's common to have fuel hoses from tank to slurry bowl collapsing internally. There are other possibilities, but we keep to simplest first.

zlssefi

Makes sense. I will note that the fuel feed from the tank to slurry bowl was replaced prior to the start of this season, so that is brand new. Not that brand new parts don't have issues but I did that because the old hose's jacket was starting to peel.

zlssefi

20200121_161225.jpg All fixed. The arm on the pump was 1/4 inch off the stop on the pump. Come to find out the throttle bellcrank bushings were shot and it started wearing into the aluminum. I machined the piece and slid a steel tube in place to repair it. All good now. Thanks for the help!!