• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AKieslich32

So I was running my 310d when I shut it down like normal and went to load some stuff in the bucket. Got back on the machine and click click. Would turn over. Bought two need batters still click click then I took of the starter and took it in to be tested. Starter was fine. So my concern is my engine is locked up but the machine ran great and always had maintenance. I can’t see why it would lock up all the sudden. If the main pump goes bad can it keep the motor from turning over. When someone hits the key and I watch the pulley on the crank moved about a 1/4” each time and does not return to the same position. It’s is turning and gaining a 1/4” of revolution each time you hit the start.

Any advice is appreciated. I want to troubleshoot and find the problem and not throw parts at it.

Delmer

Reach in and turn the engine with the belt and fan. If you can't do that, then turn it with a pry bar through the starter hole, it should be tough to turn with the fan and belt, and very easy to turn with a prybar on the ring gear. If it's not, then there's trouble, start with removing the belt, because that's easiest.

AKieslich32

So I was running my 310d when I shut it down like normal and went to load some stuff in the bucket. Got back on the machine and click click. Would turn over. Bought two need batters still click click then I took of the starter and took it in to be tested. Starter was fine. So my concern is my engine is locked up but the machine ran great and always had maintenance. I can’t see why it would lock up all the sudden. If the main pump goes bad can it keep the motor from turning over. When someone hits the key and I watch the pulley on the crank moved about a 1/4” each time and does not return to the same position. It’s is turning and gaining a 1/4” of revolution each time you hit the start.

Any advice is appreciated. I want to troubleshoot and find the problem and not throw parts at it.

volkswagenvan

Occupation
Retired
I have had antifreeze hydro locked engines from bad sleeves and head gaskets and also
diesel hydro locked engines from bad injectors.

Just throwing information out there.

AKieslich32

So I had some time to work on the backhoe today and still cannot get it turn over. We checked the loaders controls and removed the hydraulic pump from the crank. Pump turned freely and engine would still not crank over. We began tearing it down today and got the valve cover off and the valves springs and head looks normal. I pulled the fuel line and bolts to the front injector and was planning on pulling it out to see if I could see in the combustion chamber. Before I pulled it out I wanted to do little more research and make sure I was making the right move.
any advice or warning before Prying our the injector would be appreciated. Am I tracking in the right direction? I anticipate being able to tell more with the injector out and a visual pathway to the combustion chamber.

only other thing I can think of to consider is right before this happened the fuse for the four wheel drive ble. Once replaced seems to work fine however . The light on the 4wd switch was coming on real dim a day before break down when the 4wd was not switched on. There was obviously some type of electrical issue happening as this was the first time fuse has blown. with that said the manuals troubleshooting section said that the starter relay ground could cause the engine not to turn over. We’ve checked and cleaned and replaced all the grounds for the starter and batteries, but I cannot find the starter relay ground would be. Any advice on starter relay ground location? I would like to check that. I’d doubt that’s it because the starter is engaging into the flywheel and then not turning.

Thanks for the replays above

volkswagenvan

Occupation
Retired
And yes, there is a valve on that pump that could cause a hydraulic load when starting.
Stroke control valve I think.

volkswagenvan

Occupation
Retired
If your a diesel, just remove injectors and try to turn it over.
If it is a hydro lock it will spit out whatever is locking it.

AKieslich32

- loader control valves in the bypass position.

-could not turn the belt nor turn the flywheel with pry bar. Removed belt also.

Pulled injectors and tried to turn it over again and it did not change anything. Moves a little but does not turn over.
Two of the injectors were wet when removed.

Delmer

Only thing left is it the engine or trans locked up? Torque converter should still spin with the trans locked, but you won't get to the bolts without the engine turning.

The destroking solenoid will typically load the engine up after a couple turns if it's been sitting a while. I think the 310's are all gear pumps though?

eKretz

Make sure with a big breaker bar on the crank snout, but it sounds like you may have a major internal mechanical failure. The trans shouldn't stop the engine from being barred over, as the converter will just slip. If you can't bar it over with the injectors out, I'd say there is definitely something not good going on in the engine.

volkswagenvan

Occupation
Retired
One thought is to pull the oil filter off the engine and cut it apart to look for metal inside!

It may give you a clue whats going on! Possibly send out an oil sample also.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
If it is locked up remove the starter and make sure that is not the cause. I had a vehicle years ago that a mechanic diagnosed as a seized motor. Turns out it was the starter.
Freind of mine got an old Ferguson tractor from the boneyard for $100. Same deal, they thought engine was stuck, starter had stuck engaged into flywheel. He actually had another starter on the "save it" shelf. Dude loved that little tractor, used to drive it through the woods to the bar.

Last edited: