• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1991 JD410D reverse issue

Jason Harp

Hi all, new here and new to heavy equipment. My 91 410D backhoe with 5900 hours on it recently sat for about 3 months while waiting for injector pump rebuild to be completed. Put together no issues, it was cold so backhoe idled for about 1.5 hours while I put hood and covers back on (not sure if that matters for my current issue). I loaded a couple scoops of wood onto my trailer for 10 minutes, all was well. Then pushed some brush for about 5 minutes, and that's when I was unable to reverse. Everything works, except for reverse. Forward, reverse, dipper stick, bucket, all is well. When rear tires lifted off ground, reverse looks like it wants to try to engage (slight tire movement) but thats it. I've spent hours trying to find where to begin, but haven't found much! Any insight of potential cause or next steps would be much appreciated!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Jason;)!

First, see if you have voltage getting to the reverse solenoid. I would check at the FNR lever first. Backprobe the FNR connector at the T13 blue wire carefully with a small pin or backprobe spoon. See if you have voltage coming out of the T13 blue wire when you shift into reverse.

Jason Harp

Welcome to HEF Jason;)!

First, see if you have voltage getting to the reverse solenoid. I would check at the FNR lever first. Backprobe the FNR connector at the T13 blue wire carefully with a small pin or backprobe spoon. See if you have voltage coming out of the T13 blue wire when you shift into reverse.
My neighbor will be helping as he has all the fancy tools I may need, I plan to get out to it today. With that subtle attempt to move in reverse (which yes just barely it Does) do you think that rules out clutch pack? Or tough to say? Trying to mentally prepare my emotions and my wallet haha. Thanks for the reply!

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Jason !
First things first. :)
If you follow mg2361's advice he will figure it out for you.
What I mean is - check out the electrical problem possibility first.
If all is well there then mg will guide you to the next step.

Jason Harp

Hi all, new here and new to heavy equipment. My 91 410D backhoe with 5900 hours on it recently sat for about 3 months while waiting for injector pump rebuild to be completed. Put together no issues, it was cold so backhoe idled for about 1.5 hours while I put hood and covers back on (not sure if that matters for my current issue). I loaded a couple scoops of wood onto my trailer for 10 minutes, all was well. Then pushed some brush for about 5 minutes, and that's when I was unable to reverse. Everything works, except for reverse. Forward, reverse, dipper stick, bucket, all is well. When rear tires lifted off ground, reverse looks like it wants to try to engage (slight tire movement) but thats it. I've spent hours trying to find where to begin, but haven't found much! Any insight of potential cause or next steps would be much appreciated!
Correction, to original post. When I said all is well I wrote forward, reverse, etc.. I meant forward, neutral*... obviously reverse is my issue, sorry about that for any confusion.

Jason Harp

Welcome to HEF Jason;)!

Voltage is good to the reverse solenoid from the lever.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
You stated in your original Post that you were pushing brush when you lost reverse. Don't know if this applies to your machine or not, but do you have a stick stuck somewhere not allowing full travel or did a branch knock something loose?

Jason Harp

You stated in your original Post that you were pushing brush when you lost reverse. Don't know if this applies to your machine or not, but do you have a stick stuck somewhere not allowing full travel or did a branch knock something loose?
That's what I was really hoping for, but I didn't see anything underneath or anything disconnected. What's throwing me off is that it is engaging, I get very subtle turn of the tires, but almost like it's not getting full engagement. Leads me to wondering about a valve stuck that's not letting enough pressure through.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Voltage is good to the reverse solenoid from the lever.

Make sure the solenoid has a good ground as well.

If in fact the voltage is getting to the solenoid and the ground is good, then you either have a stuck/leaking solenoid valve or a pressure issue. I would try swapping the forward and reverse solenoid valve assemblies (not just the coils) to see if the problem follows the solenoid valve. If it follows the valve, then you know the valve was defective. If the issue remains in reverse, then pressure testing will be required. Then, I would highly recommend acquisition of the Operation and Test Manual TM1512.

Jason Harp

Sounds good, thank you for the information! Unfortunately it's outside and it's raining today, so will resume when able! But I really appreciate the input.