• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1991 Case 1845C tilt piston seals

thehemikid

Would like to find a seal kit to replace what I have. The piston seals that I have are different than all that I can find searching the net. I am assuming what I have is an older design. I figure my next move is to take the piston to a local dealer and see what info they can dig up.

1st pic: what I have
2nd: what I usually find.

Mine have no splits.

Attachments

• IMG_7908 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7908 - Copy.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7931 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7931 - Copy.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 13

56wrench

You could have a machine shop make a new piston to use the newer seals if you can’t find the old style cup seals

thehemikid

Thanks for the "bonded guide piston". I will guess those are NS (No longer Serviced). I plan on finding that out today at a local dealer. Hopefully a newer designed piston/seals will fit my existing rod end and cylinder.

The machine shop ideal would be cheaper than a rebuilt or new cylinder which I've seen from ~$400 to $900.

thehemikid

The local dealers on screen catalog search looked the same as my catalog at home. Both don't go back far enough to show the piston/seals that I have that Vetech63 called Bonded. Somehow the guy at the dealer came up with what I think is a upgrade (my word) part number S220090 and ph number to call.

The parts guy there had older books and came around to the original (bonded) piston and seal were no longer available. Looking up the upgrade showed $170ish for the piston and $130ish for the seal kit. That's getting close to lower end of rebuilt cylinder territory to me.

Looked around the net and saw mostly the same $ he quoted. So I decided to reuse my piston and seals cause they weren't my main issue which was my gland seals that were leaking. I just used the new seals out of the gland kits I had ordered. Found out the 2 extra seals in those gland kits are for what I think are the newer design glands where the seals are inside the threads, whereas mine the seals have to cross over the threads to get to there seats. A cutting risk, so I taped over them to install, and put both cylinders back together.

Attachments

• IMG_7947 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7947 - Copy.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7907 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7907 - Copy.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7927 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7927 - Copy.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7936 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7936 - Copy.JPG