• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1988 john deere 510c project

Fedora

Hi, I recently took a chance on purchasing a jd510c that needed a main hydraulic pump. After checking around and getting quotes on buying a refurbished one I decided to try my hand at rebuilding the old one. I should add too that the backhoe sat around for at least two years and needed lots of tlc. I was successful in the rebuild and we managed to get it moving . The hydraulics were slow at first and we discovered multiple leaks which we fixed and now they are much faster. During the fixing stage we noted it was becoming difficult to start and we used a large industrial charger at 200 amps to get it going. To make a long story short , cleaned connections put in a new battery and all went fine for a few days until I got it stuck in the mud and had a hydraulic major leak near the front . After starting and stopping it many times the battery ran down but we eventually boosted it and got it out. We fixed the leak , had difficulty starting , boosted it , ran it all day and it worked great , but at end of day filled the front bucket and headed up the lane where it died . We were able to start it once but it died again . After boosting several times with no luck
the batteries are not charging enough.

I'm wondering if perhaps with the full bucket and going uphill, if the electronic destroke solenoid might be malfunctioning creating a high amp to start. That solenoid got soaked when the major leak occurred.
We did take the starter solenoid off and it was in need of a good cleaning but is working for sure after cleaning it .
Any thoughts ?

I also had to replace a line that goes from the hydraulic cooler to the torque converter. I'm not sure if the lines to the cooler are correct . There are three 3/4 lines going to the cooler on the right side as I look from the front. One goes from the pump to the upper most connection. I installed the two torque converter lines to the other two connections, but not sure which line should go to the bottom and which to the middle?

Fedora

Thanks Tinkerer but i've gone to their site and saw this but still unsure. I have the technical manuals and it suggests that one is out to the torque converter and the other is the return. WhenI follow them back from the cooler one is on top of the other then it connects again to some piping but i can't see the lines very well when i try to follow back.

Tinkerer

When I follow them back from the cooler one is on top of the other then it connects again to some piping but i can't see the lines very well when i try to follow back.
About all you can do is unhook the end of one of the lines and pull it enough to see where it goes.
Get an assortment of colored zip ties and put the same color on the hose end and also where it is connected.
It is foolproof way to keep track of where lines came off and go back on.

Dave Neubert

Old trick on JD tractors is to rock the steering back and forth rapidly wile cranking this relives the pressure on the pump

Delmer

You have a lot going on here.

The destroke solenoid is 6V and will burn out quickly if it comes on long.

I can't see how any of this has anything to do with the backhoe dying. Either the alternator is not charging (check the volts running), or you're running out of fuel because something is plugged up, those are the most likely possibilities when something has been sitting. if the battery had any power to crank the engine even once after it died, then it had plenty of power to run the injection pump solenoid, and I'd say you had fuel issues.

Use Dave's trick when trying to start it to see if that helps it crank faster. If it doesn't help, then you have a weak battery, weak starter, or bad connection.

Fedora

Thanks guys. Yes there is a lot here. Interesting how you picked up on the alternator and possible fuel issue. There are loads of electrical issues with this machine has spliced wires everywhere and We have been going through them. Before leaving last night I had my brother try to crank it over while i watched at the starter. Noticed two things , wiring to the alternator had a wire exposed and another that had 3 connectors within less than 1 ft. While cranking i noticed fuel bubbling out around the filter. Didn't have time to do more so just cut the wires to the alternator and i'm getting a new filter. I'm in Nova Scotia and the hurricane is suppose to be here tomorrow so not going to look at it again until the weekend as the backhoe is out in the country side. Will let you know how it goes . Thanks again.

Fedora

oh here are a few pictures of some of the stuff we did before this most recent problem.
2957609A-2007-4405-8CF5-AC05F28CB8B2.jpeg 398967C8-2A47-4D8B-9276-81DBDF0953F0.jpeg 7035D9B7-F6A5-4318-9CA2-D80A34E4788D.jpeg 32A54A9A-698B-4FCD-807A-B91CFEF7B796.jpeg

Fedora

So far our storm is not too bad . here is a photo from the manual of the right side of the hydraulic cooler. The two i'm questioning is D and F .

2C1DC1A0-6588-4A47-85DB-1591F1AB243A.jpeg

Tinkerer

Did you post the image from an IPhone ?
The image clearly says
D - torque convertor in - cooler out.
F- torque convertor out - cooler in.
You need to figure out where one of the hoses goes to the convertor -- either one --- in or out.

2C1DC1A0-6588-4A47-85DB-1591F1AB243A.jpeg

Last edited:

Fedora

yes but i have not traced the lines back yet. I simply took the upper line to D and the lower line to F. I'll try the idea of disconnecting one of these and try to jiggle or tap the line to follow which is which, when i go out there again. Thank you for turning the picture.