• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1987 Leibherr R932 HDSL

TMJD

Hi everyone, what the pros and cons of this model excavator, I've never ran one before but have seen them around. How do they hold up. I found one that has less than 5000 hours. Are they as good as a Cat 225 or Jd 790 ?

Jgm

I work in Germany, where the liebheer is produced, worked for a company 8 years where the had just about every type of maschine, ( liebheer, cat, Hitachi, Komatsu) etc. by us we barely had any problems with liebheer compared to our other machines, a real working horse. I could full recommend it.

TMJD

Thanks for the reply Jgm, that sounds good. I'm going to be looking at it this weekend, can you give me a few pointers on what to look for that may be different from the other Excavators out there?

Jgm

Like I said we we had little problems, like any buy weather cars or heavy equipment. I would ask about the keeping of the maintenance, and get the machine up to operating temp. And then run it for a good 3/4 hours, like any machine if there are any problems that should persist, happens or should notice when the hydraulic oil is hot.

TMJD

I forgot to mention, the person who has the machine said that one of the belts came off, and the operator that was running it tried to put it back on and couldn't. I assume it might be the blower fan belt and the owner doesn't know anything about equipment. It has a Deutz 6 cylinder engine that they say has only 100 hrs on it.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Be wary of hydraulic hoses, the rotation bearing, wire harness cooling system corrosion. 5k hours, check for rust in the fuel tank, hydraulic tank and if the radiator has any fins left. Check boom and arm pins for excessive slop. Bucket pins as well. Does it have a quick coupler or is it a pin on bucket?

TMJD

Funwithfuel, when you say cooling system, do you mean the Hydraulic system? I'm thinking the engine is air cooled.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Dont forget undercarriage. Walk it back and forth looking for seized links. Check idlers for bad grooves. Check all the fluids and the slow bath. It might be advantageous to have a local tech give it the once over.

TMJD

The reason I thought it was air cooled is because the pictures that I see looks like a blower shroud just the other Duetz engines I've seen, but I could be wrong. It does look like there is a cooler with a fan that's mounted horizontally that blow's out of the top above the engine compartment.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You know, parts availability is gonna be brutal. They make a very solid machine. But that age, with those alleged hours, it had to have sat a long time. There has to be a ridiculous amount of dry rot and rust.

Welder Dave

Is this the machine? Did you already buy it or is that buyer now selling it a year later? Curious why it would need a new engine with less than 5000 hours and why a belt would come off in less than 100 hours? Would the belt be for the cooling fan? Did it overheat? Wonder if the hour meter works or maybe it has gone around once. It's listed as only fair condition which really makes the hours suspect as well as the maintenance. I agree parts could be a big problem.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=124&acctid=6026

Last edited:

TMJD

Welder Dave, that's the machine I was going look at! The person who has it bought it about a year ago and said they had another guy run it to dig two ponds and now I guess they don't need it anymore.

Welder Dave

Well now you know what they paid for it. Which belt came off? There's some red flags so for sure have someone experienced look at it. Current owner could be trying to get rid of it because of a big issue, possibly overheated. It looks to be air cooled.

TMJD

Ha ha! Guys I'm not sure if I should even go look at the machine. It really is starting to look sketchy. I know when I bought my last excavator, Cat 215, I knew what I was getting into, even though it was pretty shot, I could go to cat and or get aftermarket parts if needed. Here in Florida, there's only one Leibherr dealer in Tampa that I know of, and even after talking to the dealer about this particular model, the light looked pretty dim.

TMJD

Welder Dave, I really appreciate you finding that info about that machine. The pictures that are posted on Craigslist look just like the Government auction site. I don't know why the present owner couldn't have took pictures of the machine the way it sits now. The person who has it doesn't like to talk over the phone, and prefers to text only, I really don't care for that. Everyone that I have bought stuff from never had a problem with exchanging numbers and talking about what they had over the phone.

Tags

Don't even bother with it....sounds like a scam of some sort....you would never use the pics from the previous add, if Welder Dave found the old add and pics anyone else could do the same and make up an add. Find something that doesn't stink of sketchiness and has parts READILY available....just my .02$