• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1986 Cat 235B

WildBill99

Good morning all. Just bought me a giant piece of yellow iron. I spent more on this than any vehicle I have ever owned. No complaints. I just don't want to mess it up. If anyone has any helpful hints on what to look for or any tips to prolong my new baby, I would appreciate it. I am just in the process of searching for manuals to help my knowledge curve, which is now a flat line. I spent the weekend digging so I am worried about hydraulic fluid and greasing type and frequency required. All tips are greatly appreciated. All knowledge is a good thing and my Cat brain is empty. Thanks for your support.

bunkclimber

Cat 235 has a 3306 engine,one of the best Cat engines made..very reliable with regular maintenance. Get a battery powered greasegun,the Milwaukee ones are nice..they will save you a lot of hassle;give it a go on the machine every day when doing your preop,even good EP grease is cheap compared to line boring joints.The boom/dipper(top) and bucket joints get the most wear.The 235 is a great machine,they run around $25-30K..you're better off spending a bit more and get a good machine instead of a wore out one for cheap..Im still seaching for mine yet..perfect companion for my 977L..too bad I cant haul em on the same trailer at once.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
First thing would be an Operation & Maintenance Manual. Downloadable from a Cat web site for about $45.
A Parts Manual would come from the same source for about $90.
If you like post your full Serial Number and I can walk you through the process.

Have no idea of what the hourly rate for a 235B would be but I'd be willing to bet that the money the books Nige suggested you buy would be less money than an hour or two of downtime on that machine would cost you. And every time you refer to them after that would be pure profit!

Once you get the op/maintenance manual I would strongly suggest taking it home and read from cover to cover even if it takes a few weeks to do while sitting through the commercials of what ever show you are watching on TV. No, you are not going to remember everything but you will be surprised what you do remember and know where to find it.

WildBill99

Cat 235 has a 3306 engine,one of the best Cat engines made..very reliable with regular maintenance. Get a battery powered greasegun,the Milwaukee ones are nice..they will save you a lot of hassle;give it a go on the machine every day when doing your preop,even good EP grease is cheap compared to line boring joints.The boom/dipper(top) and bucket joints get the most wear.The 235 is a great machine,they run around $25-30K..you're better off spending a bit more and get a good machine instead of a wore out one for cheap..Im still seaching for mine yet..perfect companion for my 977L..too bad I cant haul em on the same trailer at once.

Thanks for the greasing tip BC. I picked some up yesterday as a matter of fact. Would you use Cat grease or is grease grease? I bought mine in a Ritchie Brothers auction. Paid 18,000. and with taxes and delivery it came in just under $22,000. Canadian dollars. With the exchange rate you might get a super deal that will more than pay for the shipping costs. Thanks again BC

WildBill99

First thing would be an Operation & Maintenance Manual. Downloadable from a Cat web site for about $45.
A Parts Manual would come from the same source for about $90.
If you like post your full Serial Number and I can walk you through the process.

Thanks Nige, I will have to check the serial number again when I get home tomorrow as that website wouldn't take the serial number I plugged in.

bunkclimber

WildBill ive been using Castrol Pyroplex EP grease,its blue in color,ive also seen it in red too..works very good.Can't say which works better or which has a better flavor. Any good extreme pressure(EP)grease will work. Anything in there is better than neglect and metal on metal.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Regarding grease on Excavators, especially on machines that don't have an autolube system fitted, my favourites in no particular order are Bel-Ray Molylube SP4, Cat Ultra-Moly 5, or Molbil Mobilux EP2 Moly. Can't go wrong with any of them.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Always check your pump drive oil, there isn't much in there so if you get a leak it won't take long and it will be out. If I recall correctly is uses some kind of 30 weight oil in it. It's been about 16 or 17 years since the last time I ran a 235 or 245.