1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

1986 Case 580e boom cylinder seal

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Nick Tonelli, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Nick Tonelli

Nick Tonelli New Member

Hi all- with the help of this forum I tackled the job of replacing a badly leaking book cyl on my new to me case 580e. I purchased the seal kit from HW part store using the stamped number on the cylinder nut. Everything went together fine until the last seal the “wiper” or whatever it is called that is placed on very end. It won’t fit at all due to a machined ridge it seems like the OD of the metal seal is too large. I even bought another kit from a separate supplier and had same issue. Am I missing something here? Seems to be much too tight of clearance to just bash it on

Attached Files:

2. alrman

alrman Senior Member

Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
    The second picture shows the metal seal casing for the old seal to still be in the gland - remove it & all will be good.
    ..... then get your eyes checked! :p:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  3. Nick Tonelli

Nick Tonelli New Member

:mad:Unbelievable…

the old seal was so toast it crumbled before I had chance to remove it I didn’t even think of looking for the metal casing. Thank you!

4. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

big truck wrench/fixer of things
    Don't feel bad, I was in the process of rebuilding all the cylinders on my machine when one of the neighbors stopped by and we started yapping about stuff,an hour later I continued with the job at hand. All of the wiper seals on my machine are the same color but one, guess why.:rolleyes: WTF

HarleyHappy and Nick Tonelli like this.
  5. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

It sucks getting distracted when you're in the middle of repairing something. Sometimes you just have to forget about anything else and concentrate on the job at hand.

6. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

Kinda tough to concentrate when the feller causing the distraction has a fresh box of ice cold beer in his hand...:D

sled dog likes this.
  7. Welder Dave

All the more reason to stay concentrated when working on something critical. Have a beer when you're finished.

8. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

I do some of my best work under the influence. P.S. it's a 1976 Case hoe, it's never gonna be finished.

Swetz and HarleyHappy like this.
  9. HarleyHappy

HarleyHappy Well-Known Member

Welder/Mechanic
    My only problem is when you wake up the next morning and are pleasantly surprised someone finished the job and you have no recollection that it was you.
    Did that one time swapping winter tires on and had to pull caps to check lug nuts to make sure I torqued them lol.
    Sure it won’t be the last time.

Swetz and stinky64 like this.
  10. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

I said "under the influence" not inebriated, maybe you just have elves hiding in your shop.

HarleyHappy likes this.
  11. Welder Dave

It can be a fine line with some people.

HarleyHappy likes this.
  12. HarleyHappy

HarleyHappy Well-Known Member

Welder/Mechanic
    As long as my elves continue to do quality work it’s okay
    Lol

stinky64 and Swetz like this.
  13. joe--h

joe--h Senior Member

Think my elves are all drunk, they don't show up for duty.

Joe H

HarleyHappy likes this.