• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1986 Case 580e boom cylinder seal

Nick Tonelli

Hi all- with the help of this forum I tackled the job of replacing a badly leaking book cyl on my new to me case 580e. I purchased the seal kit from HW part store using the stamped number on the cylinder nut. Everything went together fine until the last seal the “wiper” or whatever it is called that is placed on very end. It won’t fit at all due to a machined ridge it seems like the OD of the metal seal is too large. I even bought another kit from a separate supplier and had same issue. Am I missing something here? Seems to be much too tight of clearance to just bash it on

Attachments

• 4B725488-C01A-494B-846A-0E968DC3C9D5.jpeg
    4B725488-C01A-494B-846A-0E968DC3C9D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • CB193119-2A77-4A8D-9DF6-1C14AA3F2D14.jpeg
    CB193119-2A77-4A8D-9DF6-1C14AA3F2D14.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Don't feel bad, I was in the process of rebuilding all the cylinders on my machine when one of the neighbors stopped by and we started yapping about stuff,an hour later I continued with the job at hand. All of the wiper seals on my machine are the same color but one, guess why.:rolleyes: WTF

Welder Dave

It sucks getting distracted when you're in the middle of repairing something. Sometimes you just have to forget about anything else and concentrate on the job at hand.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Kinda tough to concentrate when the feller causing the distraction has a fresh box of ice cold beer in his hand...:D

Welder Dave

All the more reason to stay concentrated when working on something critical. Have a beer when you're finished.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
My only problem is when you wake up the next morning and are pleasantly surprised someone finished the job and you have no recollection that it was you.
Did that one time swapping winter tires on and had to pull caps to check lug nuts to make sure I torqued them lol.
Sure it won’t be the last time.