• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 Case 1155D engine removal

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
One more question. I realized that the manual I have only covers the engine. I knew the manual was about 1/5 the size of the parts manual so I knew that didn't add up. Now I now the reason, only covers engine.

Does the torque converter pull straight out like the one on a car or regular size pickup truck? There are no sign of any fluid or leak coming from it but if it is that simple I should replace it while I am waiting on the machine shop.

Thanks!
B-C

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The torque converter is a self contained unit it does not pull out like a truck. If it's not leaking leave it alone. and reinstall engine.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
The torque converter is a self contained unit it does not pull out like a truck. If it's not leaking leave it alone. and reinstall engine.

Thanks Coy!
That sounds good to me, there was no sign of leaks when I pulled the engine. That told me the torq seal and the rear main engine seal were both good. (the engine seal being a moot point as all of that is new now, but I was surprised the housing was dry). And being the torq does not pull out like a car or truck, I am glad to let that sleeping dog lay, if I wake that sucker up he might bite. :eek:

Positive # 2, Tinkerer said he likes the idea and that is good enough for me. :)

B-Crazy

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good morning Guys!
I need a little info, namely the specs for the heads on the Case 504.
I did finally get the sleeves back this week so I have the pistons in, oil pump set, all of that stuff torqued down to specs and hope to set the oil pan later today. That is if I have time after finishing the "Honey Do List" :confused::rolleyes:o_O!!! I will add a few more pics of the progress soon.

The heads have just a little bit of fire ring wear and the machine shop would like to shave them. However they are a mainly a Cat dealer, shop etc. They are everything Cat so they have asked me to supply the specs for the Case heads.

Head Specs
1. Height- max and minimum measurements
2. Protrusion- Are there any specs on the valve protrusion?

If any of you have these from a trusted source or know of a site I could get them from, that would be great!

Thanks Guys!
B-Crazy

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Good morning BC I don't have those specs right in front of me but they should be in the "service manual" in the engine section.

Tinkerer

Bcrazy ;
I was wondering how you verified that the oil holes in the camshaft bushings were correctly positioned with the supply galleys when you installed them.
It appeared in one of your photos that the new crankshaft is installed but the camshaft isn't. I'm just curious.
Did you measure the protrusion of the sleeves after they were installed ?
It is very important that they are within specs.

Last edited:

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good morning BC I don't have those specs right in front of me but they should be in the "service manual" in the engine section.

Haha, the funny thing is the manual i bought off of ebay or amoz as only a partial manual, so it does not have the spec section (rookie mistake) :eek::rolleyes:
However I think I have found a source that can provide that info.
Thanks!

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Bcrazy ;
I was wondering how you verified that the oil holes in the camshaft bushings were correctly positioned with the supply galleys when you installed them.
It appeared in one of your photos that the new crankshaft is installed but the camshaft isn't. I'm just curious.
Did you measure the protrusion of the sleeves after they were installed ?
It is very important that they are within specs.

Hi Tink!
Camshaft bushings- It was a pains taking process! Th top hole was easy you can actually see down the very small drain back hole from the top of the block. It is a little tricky to get your light in just the right place but it can be done. The bottom holes were a little harder but you can somewhat view them if you put those in before the sleeves go in. However it is possible to miss them even if you are being very careful. I am not calling any names but I know some (Crazy) :confused::p guy that had to put 2 of them in twice to get them in the right place. Once I got them in I checked them with a piece of wire with a short 90 degree bend on the end to verify I had them installed correctly

Sleeve protrusion- Yes I went by the book on those. It is kind of strange but my piece of a manual had that info in it. Go figure! o_O:D

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Okay time for a few pics. I hope you enjoy my......

Now who knows if the engine will ever run again. But just look at how of a cup holder the 504 makes. Just keep looking at the pics below. You can choose from 6 different holes and at least 3 different heights. But of course it is a little expensive compared to your common un of the mill cup holder.

But then again if you fix up one of these everybody and their neighbor will not have one just like yours! :D:D:D

Case 504 cup holder 1.JPG Case 504 cup holder 2 .JPG Case 504 cup holder 3 .JPG

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Case 504 oil pan torqued down 2.JPG Case 504 oil pan torqued down 3 .JPG Case 504 oil pan torqued down.JPG Case 504 oil pan torqued down 2.JPG Case 504 oil pan torqued down 2.JPG And here is Sweetheart again with her bottom pan all torqued down and ready for the final flip. And maybe installation soon after that.

Case 504 oil pan torqued down 2.JPG Case 504 oil pan torqued down 3 .JPG Case 504 oil pan torqued down.JPG

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey BC your engine is looking good, even though it's the wrong color lol. Also remember when you go to put your heads on be sure to install the water manifold and exhaust manifold to align head before your tighten and torque them.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good afternoon Guys!
I feel asleep in the early morning hours when I posted the pics above before I finished posting so here are a couple more pics of Sweetheart. I have made the final flip and she is sitting right side up YAY!!! I am glad to get that part behind me, I am working with limited equipment so the flipping of Sweetheart is the most challenging part of this build.

Sweetheart is like my wife she has gained a few pounds :p and I don't handle her as easily as I did when I carried her over the threshold 40 years ago! It will 41 years next month as long as she does not read this post where I mentioned something about her weight! :D:D If she happens to find this post she will make to the anniversary date but I may be pushing daisies before then. :eek::eek:

How did I get off on that? I don't know :rolleyes: sometimes my mind works in strange ways like getting my 61 year old body in trouble because my mind still thinks the body can do what it did when I was 20. So the mind leads the body into doing things I used to and the body just cannot keep up with what the mind says body can do! :confused: I thought that the body would stop allowing the mind to get it into so much trouble but I guess the mind is smarter that the body and body keeps doing what mind says. The mind is going to kill the body sooner or later! o_O:(

Sorry I got off on a tangent there! Back the Sweetheart and the pics. :)
So here are a couple of pics showing that I did but the oil pump in before the oil pan went on. Sweetheart is so cute with her pan off and showing how clean her oil pump and crankshaft are! :D:D

And then the next pic shows that Sweetheart is more beautiful than ever with the final flip being completed and waiting for her 3 crowns (I mean heads) to be set!) :D And speaking of 3 heads I bet Sweetheart can be like a 3 headed monster when she gets an attitude! :cool: Man I am full of it today :) I just can't stay on track :confused: :D! Well the ain thing is I hope you Guys get a laugh or two from reading my crazy posts! :p:p See pics below. :rolleyes:

Case 504 oil pump installed.JPG Case 504 painted.JPG
Hey BC your engine is looking good, even though it's the wrong color lol. Also remember when you go to put your heads on be sure to install the water manifold and exhaust manifold to align head before your tighten and torque them.

Hey Coy thanks for that tip! I would not have thought of that. Tips like that could really keep me out of trouble.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Good afternoon Guys!
I feel asleep in the early morning hours when I posted the pics above before I finished posting so here are a couple more pics of Sweetheart. I have made the final flip and she is sitting right side up YAY!!! I am glad to get that part behind me, I am working with limited equipment so the flipping of Sweetheart is the most challenging part of this build.

Coy, I don't know how your post got in in the middle of my rambling post but that is cool. If the wife ever finds this post I will say, No honey that was me that said that, it was Coy! :p:p

Sweetheart is like my wife she has gained a few pounds :p and I don't handle her as easily as I did when I carried her over the threshold 40 years ago! It will 41 years next month as long as she does not read this post where I mentioned something about her weight! :D:D If she happens to find this post she will make to the anniversary date but I may be pushing daisies before then. :eek::eek:

How did I get off on that? I don't know :rolleyes: sometimes my mind works in strange ways like getting my 61 year old body in trouble because my mind still thinks the body can do what it did when I was 20. So the mind leads the body into doing things I used to and the body just cannot keep up with what the mind says body can do! :confused: I thought that the body would stop allowing the mind to get it into so much trouble but I guess the mind is smarter that the body and body keeps doing what mind says. The mind is going to kill the body sooner or later! o_O:(

Sorry I got off on a tangent there! Back the Sweetheart and the pics. :)
So here are a couple of pics showing that I did but the oil pump in before the oil pan went on. Sweetheart is so cute with her pan off and showing how clean her oil pump and crankshaft are! :D:D

And then the next pic shows that Sweetheart is more beautiful than ever with the final flip being completed and waiting for her 3 crowns (I mean heads) to be set!) :D And speaking of 3 heads I bet Sweetheart can be like a 3 headed monster when she gets an attitude! :cool: Man I am full of it today :) I just can't stay on track :confused: :D! Well the ain thing is I hope you Guys get a laugh or two from reading my crazy posts! :p:p See pics below. :rolleyes:

View attachment 247108 View attachment 247109

Hey Coy thanks for that tip! I would not have thought of that. Tips like that could really keep me out of trouble.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Coy,
You are correct this is Cat yellow! I could not find the Case color locally when I started the painting part of the project. I don't know if the Cat paint will make it run better or worse, it depends on your preference I guess.

I have a Case because I fund this one at a price I could manage so I have a Case preference. If I had found a Cat at a price that could manage I would have a Cat preference. So just the luck of the draw for me I guess. ;)

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
I have another question or two.

See the pic below, the rod bearings are .010 over which shows on the new rod bearing box. However the rod bearing is stamped 0.25 I have built many engines in my time but this is the first time I have had bearings with such a strange stamp on them.

When I saw this all work stopped for a few minutes until I mic-ed them and found they were the same as the ones I took out which were also .010 because the old crank and been turned also.

Can one of you Guys explain why the bearings were marked this way?

New ro bearings Case 504.JPG New ro bearings Case 504 2.JPG

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
One last question for today (I hope).

The manual says that there are two different engine ratings. One rated at 2000 RPMs and one rated at 2200 RPMs. The injector pump is not the correct pump for either of these two rated engines. Is there a way to determine what the my engine is supposed to be rated at other than the injector pump. Or is the injector pump the only difference in the two engine ratings?

Thanks Guys!
B-Crazy

Tinkerer

Did you plasti-gauge the bearings ??? That .025 would have been a red flag for me. Especially if the crankshaft is .010 undersize.
The engine rating is how many horsepower is developed at any given speed.
As long as the high idle is at least 2000 rpms you have nothing to be concerned about. IMHO!