• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1982 Volvo White AutoCar Heavy Haul Truck at gov.deals.com

Truck Shop

MF 1150 has a V-8 Perkins. Versatile 1150 has a Cummins.

Sorry Welder Dave but Massey did build the 1150 with the KTA 600, With the Massey the 1150 is the Cu.In. displacement, massey was so proud of it at the time because it had the most
HP {600} that could be bought of the lot of any wheel tractor made at the time.

Welder Dave

Truck Shop

Well lets see, I live in dry land wheat country in Walla Walla, Wa. I know what a Steiger looks like I know what a Versatile looks like, Not to mention I can read. The side of the Massey
said 1150 and it had a KTA 600 in it. Plus there were four of us looking at it with the farmer selling it, and two of those people are dead now. Now I don't want to get into some
argument over a john barley corn piece of equipment. But I will see about contacting the guy who bought that pile and see if he had photos of it.

And for some other trivia, There were more D4, D5 and D6 cats sold through out the Palouse than any other place period.

Cody danos

You’ve got me interested in that Massey now truck stop.
Were the D5 and D6 cats popular on farms in your area because of the hilly terrain?

colson04

A lot of Massey Ferguson 4xxx series tractors (4900, 4880, etc) came with a Cummins VT903 set at 320hp +/-. As the 903's puked out, a lot of farmers repowered with various other engines,mostly in the 14 L size. Big cam Cummins and 3406 Cats were popular re-fits with a lot of these repowers also boosting the HP of the tractor.

This has been discussed a bit over on newagtalk forum a few times and a guy that goes by "onion farmer" from southeast Washington says he owned a KTA 1150 powered MF 4900 with 12,000 hours that puked a trans. Could be the same tractor you saw Truck Stop , or not. He doesn't list what town he's from in Washington, just says Southeast area. It would certainly be a unique tractor with that big Powerplant stuffed in it.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=380460&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1

Welder Dave

The 4900 was the biggest Massey tractor at 375 H.P. with a VT903 and they later became the Agcostar 8425 at 425 H.P. with a Detroit 60 series or Cummins N14. Original design was from McConnell. A repowered MF4000 series could have had an 1150 cu. in. Cummins. They were heavy built tractors. It appears the tractor you saw may have been the same one Colson04 mentions above.

Truck Shop

It is the same Tractor. I know the guy who owned it. It was repowered with the KTA and had custom
1150 logos on it when I saw it. He failed to state that it dropped a valve in that thread on agtalk.
He said it would confuse because it was a 4900. So you are correct Welder Dave. That tractor is now
somewhere in Utah, But several had been converted to that big power.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Guy north of here has a 79 Pete STILL for sale with a KTA in it, just at 700,000 since last overhaul and PROUD of his little money pit, asking $24,000 as is.

Truck Shop

Guy north of here has a 79 Pete STILL for sale with a KTA in it, just at 700,000 since last overhaul and PROUD of his little money pit, asking $24,000 as is.

The KT's were I suppose a great engine for their time but there has been so many engines with smaller displacement built that produce better torque and hp at lower rpm's. Just a set of valve train components
like cam followers, cam, cylinder heads and rockers are a fortune in cost in rebuilding a KTA. Plus the KTA is a heavy engine in a road truck.

Truck Shop

You’ve got me interested in that Massey now truck stop.
Were the D5 and D6 cats popular on farms in your area because of the hilly terrain?

Most of the ground around here is so steep a wheel tractor is useless although there were wheel tractors used in the flatter areas. Every year someone rolls a combine, some still farm
with crawlers but most had gone rubber band years ago. And even at that because of the steep ground most rubber band tractors run jakes same with wheel tractors.

Cody danos

Most of the ground around here is so steep a wheel tractor is useless although there were wheel tractors used in the flatter areas. Every year someone rolls a combine, some still farm
with crawlers but most had gone rubber band years ago. And even at that because of the steep ground most rubber band tractors run jakes same with wheel tractors.

Dang. Definitely never been around anything like that

Mother Deuce

A lot of Massey Ferguson 4xxx series tractors (4900, 4880, etc) came with a Cummins VT903 set at 320hp +/-. As the 903's puked out, a lot of farmers repowered with various other engines,mostly in the 14 L size. Big cam Cummins and 3406 Cats were popular re-fits with a lot of these repowers also boosting the HP of the tractor.

This has been discussed a bit over on newagtalk forum a few times and a guy that goes by "onion farmer" from southeast Washington says he owned a KTA 1150 powered MF 4900 with 12,000 hours that puked a trans. Could be the same tractor you saw Truck Stop , or not. He doesn't list what town he's from in Washington, just says Southeast area. It would certainly be a unique tractor with that big Powerplant stuffed in it.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=380460&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1

Truck Shop

Thanks to Colson04 for clearing up the confusion.

Actually thanks to both Welder Dave and Colson04 for straightening that out. What I said above about it being MF's buy it off the lot with 600 hp was his sales pitch at the time we were looking at it.
The Onion Farmer now runs and operates a MF dealership here in town and is quite the talker.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

It was a quite common transmission in a lot of class 8 trucks. I used to run with a local guy that was a polio victim and had a left leg that wasn't much use, he ran a Pete cabover with a 12V71T and an Alison. You didn't drag race that truck.
Knew another fleet of IH cabovers with 8V92's and Allison HT 750's. Even knew of a White road commander cabover with an 8V92 and an Allison HT 740 (4sd) with 2 spd Eaton rears. The list can go on of the ones I've seen and worked on.
also, there was a heavy haul outfit nearby that had 2 GMC Astros with 12V71's with Allisons that were used as push trucks for the big lowboy.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most if mot ALL the Utility tractors of the last 15 years where I worked were Allison equipped, They had COE Non sleeper Navistar and Freightliner cabs. Had to, to negotiate City streets and alleys.