• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1982 Jd310 d backhoe/ no power forward, no neutral

Nowayout1982

My jd310d backhoe will only go forward with minimal power. It does not have enough power to go uphill or push the loader into a pile of dirt. When I'm in gear and I put the handle on the colum into natural position or reverse it still wants to go forward. If I put it into reverse and hold the brakes tight and give it a little gas it will eventually go backwards. When moving backwards it has more power to move itself uphill.
I have changed out both vertical and horizontal filters.
Where do I start?

Nowayout1982

Mg2361, thanks. Reverser oil? Are you referring to the hydrolic fluid that has a dipstick between my feet when sitting inside the machine?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Yes it is a 310 D backhoe.
Nope.

The picture I attached above is a 310D. You have a 310, 310A or a 310B, depending on the serial number.

Oil level is the stick between your feet. Checked with the engine off.

Look at the shaft that runs from the clutch pedal to the transmission control valve (it is under the bell housing). There is a roll pin that connects the shaft to the control valve. See if that is worn out or it may have partially fallen out.