• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1979 cat 930 wheel loader steering issues

ericgabriel

i have a cat 930 wheel loader that i just recently changed the hydraulic pump cartridges in. had no problems with the steering until now. when i first changed the pump cartridges they were clocked opposite directions from how the original ones came out. could something be stuck in thr steering valve assembly? there is no leaks or sounds just seems like there is no pressure at the wheel and its very difficult to turn. need any advice asap please and thank you

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
My first question would be are you 100% sure you got it right when you "corrected" the rotation of the cartridges? Did you flip the rotors and cam rings the same way?

If problem was not there before the pump was rebuilt my first thought would be something was done wrong in the pump.

You didn't leave a plug or cap or rag in the suction line did you? It has happened, I did realize what was wrong and fixed it before anyone knew!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I guess the first question even before we start looking at whether you rebuilt the pump correctly ought to be why did you rebuild the pump in the first place ...?

Also a Serial Number would help once we start looking for information.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I guess the first question even before we start looking at whether you rebuilt the pump correctly ought to be why did you rebuild the pump in the first place ...?

Also a Serial Number would help once we start looking for information.

True on both accounts! Identify and get history should be the first things someone should ask for before trying to figure out what the problem is, assuming there is a problem in the first place.

Bob/Ont

I have received exch cartridges assembled wrong and they worked like yours. The cam ring, rotor and vanes are directional and must be right then the cartridge screws need to be in the holes with the arrows pointing in that direction to sync the end plates. Look at shaft spline wear to determine direction of rotation.
Later Bob