• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1976 Deere 450cc shuttle problem

iowahill

Occupation
Retired, owner of Thomas Fischer Company, consultant
Hi folks. I'm looking at a '76 John Deere 450cc that apparently has a problem with the shuttle. It runs but doesn't move except for the hydraulics. One fellow said that there was or might be water in the fluid. I seem to recall a few years back on this forum problems with the power shift shuttle on these, and I thought there was a mention that these were built for Deere in Italy.

Before getting into something with parts availability issues I'd like to get a read from others. I have no problem with going through the shuttle as long as gaskets/seals and maybe hard parts are still available. The price is good enough to get my interest.

Thanks,

-Tom

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
It runs but doesn't move except for the hydraulics.

Most likely the clutch adjustment. There is a clutch adjustment for the flywheel clutch and one for the transmission hydraulics. The hydraulic clutch adjustment dumps transmission pressure. The only way to know for sure would be to go through the adjustment procedure before purchasing.

these were built for Deere in Italy.

450C was US Built.

as long as gaskets/seals and maybe hard parts are still available

Clutch plates, discs and piston seals are still available. Hard parts like gears are not.

iowahill

Occupation
Most likely the clutch adjustment. There is a clutch adjustment for the flywheel clutch and one for the transmission hydraulics. The hydraulic clutch adjustment dumps transmission pressure. The only way to know for sure would be to go through the adjustment procedure before purchasing.

450C was US Built.

Clutch plates, discs and piston seals are still available. Hard parts like gears are not.

450C was US Built.

=====================================================================================

Many thanks for the info. -Tom

iowahill

Occupation
The final auction price for the 450cc came out to be around $4800 plus premium and tax which was too high for me, given the uncertainties. Instead I got a Deere 820 JD2010 loader with (detached) backhoe for about $3200 out the door. I love the clamshell bucket design on the 820 too, particularly useful for dumping wet material at my mining operation. That machine has a separate post on the track loader forum.

If i have to deal with dead iron I prefer it to be U.S. rather than foreign, especially after our two-year ordeal in getting our Link Belt LS-4300 CII back into operation! All in all, life is an adventure!

Deere Loader-2.jpg

Last edited: