• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1975 jd brake problem

lantraxco

It would help to know what model machine you have, I assume 1975 is the year? If it's a loader/backhoe with internal brakes that noise means all your brake lining is finally worn off and if you don't tear it down and rebuild the brakes SOON! then your entire hydraulic system and transmission will be full of shiny silver metal dust and you will probably have to scrap the machine. Do not ask how I know please, but in all fairness I warned the owner several times.... "we just have to get through one more job, then we can take it to the shop"

:my2c

poppie

Sorry had to run it a 1975 410 don't have a service manual. Noise sound like it in the right rear any 2 cents will help. Thanks::confused:

lantraxco

Yes, the Deere 410 has internal brakes. They're inboard of where the axle housings bolt to the main case. If you're getting a chattering or grinding noise when you apply the brake it's almost certain that the lining is worn away, you have metal on metal doing the braking. There are other possibilities but brake lining is the most likely. This machine as I said before has common oil for all drive and hydraulic functions so if the brakes are grinding up metal it will get in everything, transmission, diferential, steering, loader, backhoe, pumps. Change the two transmission/hydraulic filters, look for shiny silver material in the filters.

poppie

Thanks for the info. Any idea where I can find a diagram or download as to exactly how to change the brakes as I am new to this backhoe?