• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1974 case 580b pinion gear

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Ok the cover that has the dipstick in it has to come off then there are two nuts toward the back of the opening at top of housing they are 7/8 socket size.

nicholasj

Thanks for helping me man got them off realized other nuts were for a hub that actually contains the pinion bearing and nut gonna try to split this thing how much force you think it will take

nicholasj

Doing this outside at the job had hoe off tried putting a come along to that to the back axles didn't budge should I try jerking it with my truck

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Support front with bottle jack and rear with floor jack you may have to play with tension on jacks to get level. Shouldn’t be that much force needed to split. Did you remove loader frame bolts that go through axle housing? And be sure you support loader frame with jack stands or blocks.

nicholasj

Support front with bottle jack and rear with floor jack you may have to play with tension on jacks to get level. Shouldn’t be that much force needed to split. Did you remove loader frame bolts that go through axle housing? And be sure you support loader frame with jack stands or blocks.
Everything you mentioned supported I may have to much jack pressure on motor I left a couple of the bolts in axle I thought they might help guide it steady but maybe there binding heading out now to get back at it

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
You need to go ahead and remove those bolts because loader frame will have tension on them. Also the backhoe mounting brackets have to come off. It’s been awhile sense I’ve split one so all these thoughts are coming back to me at random.

nicholasj

Thanks for the help man I have the backhoe brackets off im gonna build a more level surface for my floorjack and see what happens oh this roll bar cage thing is a pain to get off I released the front bolts im hoping it will roll back with it on easy enough

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yeah the ROPS is a pain we always removed them. You will need to remove the difflock box on right brake housing and pry loader frame out to pass a tip that sticks out on brake housing.

Last edited:

nicholasj

I have tractor split weathers been ruff here in western NY anyway figured id get some gaskets ordered what stinks is o can't exactly remember how many shims were on carrier and idk how to test backlash

nicholasj

Thanks man problem is I tried to repair this prior and during disassembling my helper mixed all the shims up I was hoping someone new what the original specs were for thers I think its like 3@.003 and one .005 on each side

nicholasj

Hey guys projects going well so far pinions in gonna go try and get torque tube gasket and others plus shims today I have metal chunks and stuff in bottom of case guy told me rinse out with diesel fuel is that good idea?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey guys projects going well so far pinions in gonna go try and get torque tube gasket and others plus shims today I have metal chunks and stuff in bottom of case guy told me rinse out with diesel fuel is that good idea?
Kerosene would be better sense it dries cleaner but diesel works just fine.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Kerosene would be better sense it dries cleaner but diesel works just fine.