• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1971 Clark C500-45 Forklift will not start

BillG

That's at the pivot point of the contact arm, it should be insulated from the support by a narrow insulator, it's part of the point set when you buy them. Again without knowing which distributor you have I can't be more specific.

inspectweld

That's at the pivot point of the contact arm, it should be insulated from the support by a narrow insulator, it's part of the point set when you buy them. Again without knowing which distributor you have I can't be more specific.
It should be Delco, I know the starter relay has a Delco stamp on it

inspectweld

Just thought I would check back in and thank for the help again and let yall know what the problems turned out to be. The wires of the condenser and coil wire were shorted out. After I got fire back to the plugs it still would not start. I sprayed some carb. cleaner in the air intake and got it to start and run shortly but it would not stay running but a second or two. Luck have it, one of my customers ace mechanics came to pick up a welding job I finished for them and he took a peek at it. He determined that initially I had a bad coil and I fixed that problem when I replaced the coil but when I changed the points the wire connectors were connected on the wrong side of the insulator. The reason it did not want to start was because it was kind of cold that morning. He said the rubber diaphragm in the carburetor is very old and is getting hard and loosing its flex especially in colder weather and its getting worse as time goes by. He said until I replace the diaphragm I can use a light bulb or electric heater to warm up the carburetor diaphragm and it should crank right up. So far he is correct