• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1971 Clark C500-45 Forklift will not start

inspectweld

I have tested for spark on my plugs and I have no spark. Tried cleaning and then replacing the points and condenser and replacing the coil. Still no fire on the plugs. Any help- would be appreciated.
On the plus side of coil with key on I get 30 volts and while cranking I get a draw down to 25 volts and it holds steady at that voltage.
Neg. side of coil with key on I get 1 volt and while cranking I get a pulse from 1 to 2 volts.
Just out of curiosity I disconnected the neg coil wire from the connection to the condenser wire on the points and I now get 30 volts on that connection and at the neg. terminal of the coil.
With that wire still disconnected when I crank the motor it draws down to 25 volts and holds steady. On the positive side of the coil with the key on it does the same thing, I get 30 volts and it draws down to 25 volts and holds steady

Last edited:

BillG

Well first off this is only a 12 volt system. What are you using for a voltmeter analog (needle) or digital (numbers)? Do you have a battery charger connected to it and if so what voltage setting. These are a standard ignition system, nothing special. Ignition switch to + side of coil and - to the distributor. Some have a resistor for running and a bypass for starting on the starter solenoid but that's it.

inspectweld

Its a multimeter needle type and I have it set on DCV in either the 0-10 or 0-50 range. No battery charger just a fresh charged 12 volt battery.

BillG

In the 0-50 range you should be reading approx. 12 volts. I don't know where you are getting the high readings. Go directly to the battery and you should read about 12.6 volts on a good battery.

inspectweld

In the 0-50 range you should be reading approx. 12 volts. I don't know where you are getting the high readings. Go directly to the battery and you should read about 12.6 volts on a good battery.
I was about to add that I already did that and its 30 volts at the battery. I was thinking the same as you, that it should be about 12. There must be something wrong with the meter. But regardless it seems the voltage drops when the neg. from the coil is attached to the condenser and points. Should the voltage drop when connected to the condenser and points?

BillG

Disconnect the - wire that goes from the coil to the distributor. Zero your ohmeter and turn the engine over until the points open. Place one probe of your tester on the distributor frame and the other probe on the wire that you removed that goes to the distributor. And see what the resistance is, it should be infinity(looks like a figure 8 laying on its side) or no continuity. All this does is check for any shorts in the ignition points and condenser.

inspectweld

Disconnect the - wire that goes from the coil to the distributor. Zero your ohmeter and turn the engine over until the points open. Place one probe of your tester on the distributor frame and the other probe on the wire that you removed that goes to the distributor. And see what the resistance is, it should be infinity(looks like a figure 8 laying on its side) or no continuity. All this does is check for any shorts in the ignition points and condenser.
upload_2019-2-17_16-32-39.jpegThis is the same type meter I have. Do you want the wire tested while it is connected to the condenser or while it is disconnected?

BillG

What distributor do you have Delco or Prestolite? Either way you need to connect one lead of your meter to the lead going between the distributor and coil and the other lead of your meter to the frame of the distributor. You don't disconnect from the condenser because this would eliminate it from the circuit.

inspectweld

I read what you wrote again and I think I see what you want. Disconnect the neg. coil wire that goes to the points and put my positive lead on on end that I disconnected and the neg. lead on the dist. body while on ohms position on the meter, correct?

BillG

Correct, just make sure your batteries are good, touch your leads together and see if the needle swings to zero.

BillG

If you have a short or minimal resistance it will swing toward zero. This will indicate a shorted wire, condenser or points insulator. Just make sure the points are open.

inspectweld

If I have a short what should I do next to repair or troubleshoot?
If I do not have a short what should I do next to troubleshoot?

BillG

If you have a short you will have to determine it by disconnecting things until the short goes away, points, condenser and maybe the wire itself where it goes into the dist. If you don't show a short, roll the engine over until the points close and see if you have continuity (short) then.which you should have.

inspectweld

If you have a short you will have to determine it by disconnecting things until the short goes away, points, condenser and maybe the wire itself where it goes into the dist. If you don't show a short, roll the engine over until the points close and see if you have continuity (short) then.which you should have.
Ok I will try that tomorrow morning. You mentioned a points insulator, exactly what is that?