1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

1971 580ck steering wheel just spins...

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by not2bad, Jul 12, 2022.

1. not2bad

not2bad Member

So, I am going to move my 1971 580ck and need to pull it to move it. Problem is that the steering wheel just spins. It's not running ..unfortunately..but is there any way to turn the wheels with the steering wheel without the hydraulics so I can drag/move it around a couple turns? Thanks in advance..

2. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    A large prybar between the tire and spindle, and elbow grease will turn them. Most times you can get the orbital steering valve to make a little hydraulic pressure by spinning the wheel very fast and several times to turn the wheels. That is assuming you have fluid in the system.

3. not2bad

not2bad Member

Yeah, that's what i was contemplating. What did I get myself into?...lol oh well..the fun is never ending with this machine..Thanks

4. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    If a machine that old could tell stories.....

5. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

we used a boom pole and lifted front end off ground a little GL

6. not2bad

not2bad Member

I have to drag this thing with my 1999 k2500 4x4 around two bends. I don't know if it will work or but have to try while the ground is still hard..

7. T-town

T-town Senior Member

retired !

.....I'm that old (- er).... and I have a ton of stories.. ;)