1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

1970 Case 580 CK

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by flyenhigh, Feb 27, 2021.

1. flyenhigh

flyenhigh New Member

Almost starts but won't continue running. smokes. then no "almost run" until I wait a few minutes, then same thing. fuel to the pump, not much if any at the injector. Ran fine last month, maybe a little rough. don't know why it would make a difference, but, changed engine oil and filter, now this.

2. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    If it’s got the check ball return fitting ON TOP of the pump, take it off the pump..
    MAKE SURE the shut off lever is touching the screw.(back side of pump) The cables r known to lose adjustment..
    Put the throttle in the WFO position
    and try to start it.. ALWAYS PUT THE THROTTLE IN HI WHEN TRYING TO START IT..
    Good luck..

3. Eric a1cnc

Eric a1cnc Well-Known Member

Can you explain why to put the throttle to Hi when starting?
    I am still new to diesels

4. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    To give it more fuel.. of course..
    I should have said, bring it off low idle..
    All the cranking specs for every injection pump tell u to put the throttle in hi before taking a reading..

Eric a1cnc likes this.