• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1970 580ck Gets her name and surgery

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have at least one of those!
View attachment 151602

WOW! 250mm! That thing opens up pretty wide! :duh

Hate to bust your bubble but adjustable wrenches are measured by overall length NOT the opening size! If i turned it over you would see it is also labeled a 10 inch wrench. Really would make more sense to mark them as to the opening size! Who care how long the wrench is I want to know it will fit the bolt or nut!

While I'm wasting every ones time I might as well mention the REST OF THE STORY on that wrench.

Seems I was going through some junk at work a few years back and found a Williams 10 inch adjustable wrench and the only thing wrong with it was the screw/axle for the knurled adjusting screw was missing. Did not know of any Williams tool dealers around the area so I went on line. Found out that in fact Snap-On had bought the company but was still selling them under the Williams name. Just for fun I emailed the "Contact Us" link on the Williams page asking if I could get a replacement screw. A short time latter I got a reply that said they did not sell parts but they would warranty the wrench if I sent it to them. So I cleaned it up a bit so it did not look like I had pulled it out of a scrap pile and mailed it in. Think it cost less than $5.00. Sure enough a couple weeks latter this brand new wrench showed up in the mail. Also it is one of the best working adjustables I have ever seen sliding jaw fits as tight as it looks in the picture.

Last edited:

1968 Case 580CK

68 now thats a good one hhahahhahahha Scary part is i know of some who would actually do something like that ...hey put a patent on that stuff and advertise it as the finest sawdust with the secret moonshine anti slip ingredients fresh from the virginia hills and sell for $19.95 a bucket .....If you build it they will come.......:jawdrop:jawdrop:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh

Haaaaa haaaaa:lmao:lmao......good one....."you build it and they will come". Thats from that old baseball movie, Field of Dreams I think.....good ole movie. I like the idea of mixing Virginia Moonshine with the fine sawdust, but we might have to up the price a bit to cover all the distillery costs. :stirthepot And Trump should approve, as it surely will "Help make America Great Again".

1968 Case 580CK

kshansen....Great deal on that Adjustable "metric" wrench. I know what you mean.....I hate the cheap ones that flop all over the place, with WAY too much tolerance on the screw/mechanism......so sloppy that they are about junk.

onemank6

from fliptop's post:

"In terms of the mechanic shuttle, I can see where the problems we are having may be overcome. However, I would think that the ability to push into a fill pile, into snow, or into compost may be lost because the engine will be directly coupled to the driveline through the clutch. So you would have a greater chance of stalling or riding the clutch to do some of the things we can do with the torque converter."

It's certainly possible to stall my CK with the mechanical shuttle if it were to come up against an immovable object like a large tree, some ledge, or even a pile of stone or fill if you just push into the bottom and don't curl or raise the bucket as it fills up but in first gear and low range - something my power shuttles don't have - that thing will just about crawl up a wall and has no trouble filling the bucket up without stalling. It's more likely to spin the tires - even with chains - and jump up and down. I replaced the clutch in it when I first got it over 30 years ago and I don't baby it. She still pulls the front wheels off the ground by accident so the clutch is still holding up. I really prefer the manual shuttle in the CK and I like he HI/LOW range that can be used in all gears. I have the power shuttles in the newer machines and I like the electric cut out switch on the loader handle and the brake pedals that acts as a clutch but I think those came later.

Grady whats that electric cutout switch on your newer rigs used for ??????? just curious......I think i would like the mechanical shuttle just because they had obvious problems with the power shuttle on the cks ....

onemank6

I have at least one of those!
View attachment 151602

Also had a guy at work who could not understand when someone mentioned getting a new "cordless screwdriver" he would say "Heck, none of my have cords, what's the big deal?"

No cords on his screwdrivers (you probably should of told him theres battery's in the handles while you went to lunch) hahahahah

Grady

Grady whats that electric cutout switch on your newer rigs used for ??????? just curious......I think i would like the mechanical shuttle just because they had obvious problems with the power shuttle on the cks ....

xpack, It's a clutch cut-out switch. It's sort of an electric clutch as it gives you a temporary neutral as long as you have your thumb on the button on the loader handle or foot on the brake - my C has a switch on the dash to enable or defeat that feature. I think it's an electric solenoid that controls the hydraulic flow. Some have a switch on the floor you can step on for the same thing. Does your's do that if you step on the brakes?

Grady

xpack, I think you'd like the manual shuttle, too. I love mine - and the HI / LOW range shifter, too. It's more shifting but way more control, too. Like others have said, even when the power shuttle is working good, it's still a dog. I like it in my K but that's with the Cummins turbo that has way more balz than the ole CK - and the thumb switch for more control.

onemank6

xpack, It's a clutch cut-out switch. It's sort of an electric clutch as it gives you a temporary neutral as long as you have your thumb on the button on the loader handle or foot on the brake - my C has a switch on the dash to enable or defeat that feature. I think it's an electric solenoid that controls the hydraulic flow. Some have a switch on the floor you can step on for the same thing. Does your's do that if you step on the brakes?

No with mine the only thing it will do is when i push in the clutch it will apply the brakes .......when i hit the brakes it dont have anything to dissengage the clutch.......I was actually surprised after i fixed the brakes that the the clutch pedal would operate the brakes....heck i had drove it for so long without brakes when i got it that i kept forgetting that i had them after i fixed them .......haha

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
kshansen, That was an attempt at humor. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I do know it doesn't open up 10" - that's why the "duh!" headbanger.

I understood that and was also trying to make a little funny! In case you do find one that opens to 250mm I'll let you use it all you want! Don't even what to think about carrying that one around.

1968 Case 580CK

Out of curiosity I found a huge adjustable wrench priced around $1000.....but could not open the site to get details, and then found a megga-huge 3D printed wrench on Youtube that was about 5 feet long. Not sure what the largest made is.

onemank6

Heres one i have had for years heck i dont even remember the cost but it wasnt cheap it comes in real handy on the equipment i have put cheater pipes on it and it hasnt broke yet....
DSCN1768.jpg
DSCN1763.jpg

This set is also handy on the 580 its a cheap china 3/4" set i bought when i had my old dragline crane back then i think it was harbor freight used to come to town and have sales in parking lots there was no stores here back then .........
DSCN1769.jpg

onemank6

Finally got back to working on the old girl Finishing up some things so here they are........
Here is a pic of the old throttle return spring someone had it hooked wrong and it made the pedal hard to push
DSCN1836.jpg
heres a shot of the new spring and WOW does the throttle work great now
DSCN1837.jpg
I used to have to pull the throttle lever back a long way for it to start to rev up so i ended up bending the linkage to get it adjusted right and now it responds with very little movement
DSCN1839.jpg
changed the swing cylinder bushings today....
DSCN1840.jpg
got the new ball joints on the loader control
DSCN1843.jpg

onemank6

Welded 1/4" diamond plate to the bottom of the backhoe bucket went over the top of the old bottom should last a long time now.........
DSCN1844.jpg
DSCN1847.jpg

1968 Case 580CK

Xpac......Great work! Shake, rattle, and roll......man, you are on the move for sure! I need to check that spring on my linkage also, as something is not quite right in there. I love the diamond plate on the hoe bucket bottom.....great idea! I also want to do the swing bushings......just wish I could roll as fast as you do. Im more like the 85 yr old woman driving her 1959 Caddy with the bumper sticker, "I may be slow, but Im in front of you".

kaufmath

1968 and onemank6 - boy you guys sure posted a TON of great info on this forum. I just got a 1967 580ck given to me by a widow down the road. it sat 5 years unstarted, and I'm in the process of trying to make her good again. I'm up here in Michigan. Some of the work will definitely be easier with all the photos you posted. I definitely have a lot of learning to do having never worked on one of these before.

1968 Case 580CK

1968 and onemank6 - boy you guys sure posted a TON of great info on this forum. I just got a 1967 580ck given to me by a widow down the road. it sat 5 years unstarted, and I'm in the process of trying to make her good again. I'm up here in Michigan. Some of the work will definitely be easier with all the photos you posted. I definitely have a lot of learning to do having never worked on one of these before.

Kaufman......Hey man....welcome and thanks for the positive thumbs up about our postings during our restoration work. Everyone on this site tries their best to help out as much as possible.....so, hopefully we can help with any questions you might run into as you work on your "new " 67 CK. Hey, it was the first time for me too.....I had no experience on these big rigs until I just dove into it. As ole Ross Perot would say, "Talk is Cheap, Just Do It!" Thats what most of us do.....we just dive into the problems and use whatever tools we think will do the job, and usually it gets fixed. Send some pics when you get a chance.

Dwight in Virginia