• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1969 Case 850 Crawler/Loader questions

STX123

I got a some time to work on the machine over the weekend. Thank you all for your replies, it has help alot.

I was able to adjust the loose track. I could not get grease into the hydraulic tensioner. I thought it was at it max. Upon further inspection I found the grease zerk was blocked or broken. I replaced the grease zerk and was able to get the track tight. It is now close to its max but the track is tight. :) I got 8 of the 12 bottom rollers to move. The ends one would not move. I soaked them with pentrating oil and will try again another day.

The machine has a case 301 diesel engine in it. I have a low oil pressure issue. I changed the oil and filter. I put a new oil line and new gauge on it. I fired it up. The engine needs a small shot of starting fluid on its first start of the day. No glow plugs or heater intake on it. The engine runs great and sounds good when running. I put 15/40W oil in it as it will only be ran in the summer. I had the shop to about 50F degress. Not bad considering its been below 0 recently. The new line plugged with sludge right away. I shut it down and clean the line out and fired it again. Same thing plugged. :eek: I tapped the oil line and gauge into the oil filter hosuing and tried again. I fired it up and was getting 2 psi :mad: Damn i thought. I let it warm up. When it warmed up I opened the throttle all the way up and got 18 PSI. Still to low as the service manual calls for 40-45 PSI at full throttle. Warm at a idle was still getting 2 PSI. I am going to remove the oil pan and see if the pickup screen is plugged and clean everything I can. I am hoping I have a sludge problem. The shop manual say to check the relief valve on the oil pump. It could have a broken spring. The relief valve can be adjusted to gain more oil pressure. I may turn it up. Any advice on this issue is welcome.

viking1

If your pressure gauge line is plugging that quickly, its very likely your problem is sludge related. I doubt the engine would stay together with that little oil pressure in those temps. Flush the engine out (maybe drop the belly & oil pans; think you can use diesl fuel). I actually repaired the oil pan on my Case 855D 12-14 years ago (it was rusted through and leaking; JB weld still holding after all this time), and it had a LOT of sludge in there....

I got a some time to work on the machine over the weekend. Thank you all for your replies, it has help alot.

I was able to adjust the loose track. I could not get grease into the hydraulic tensioner. I thought it was at it max. Upon further inspection I found the grease zerk was blocked or broken. I replaced the grease zerk and was able to get the track tight. It is now close to its max but the track is tight. :) I got 8 of the 12 bottom rollers to move. The ends one would not move. I soaked them with pentrating oil and will try again another day.

The machine has a case 301 diesel engine in it. I have a low oil pressure issue. I changed the oil and filter. I put a new oil line and new gauge on it. I fired it up. The engine needs a small shot of starting fluid on its first start of the day. No glow plugs or heater intake on it. The engine runs great and sounds good when running. I put 15/40W oil in it as it will only be ran in the summer. I had the shop to about 50F degress. Not bad considering its been below 0 recently. The new line plugged with sludge right away. I shut it down and clean the line out and fired it again. Same thing plugged. :eek: I tapped the oil line and gauge into the oil filter hosuing and tried again. I fired it up and was getting 2 psi :mad: Damn i thought. I let it warm up. When it warmed up I opened the throttle all the way up and got 18 PSI. Still to low as the service manual calls for 40-45 PSI at full throttle. Warm at a idle was still getting 2 PSI. I am going to remove the oil pan and see if the pickup screen is plugged and clean everything I can. I am hoping I have a sludge problem. The shop manual say to check the relief valve on the oil pump. It could have a broken spring. The relief valve can be adjusted to gain more oil pressure. I may turn it up. Any advice on this issue is welcome.

STX123

Got more time to work on the machine. I pulled the oil pan. Not to dirty in there. I inspected and cleaned all I could see. Everything looks good in there. I turned the relief valve up a little. I put it all back together and fired it up. It runs good. After it warmed up I got 20 PSI. It seemd to drop at an idle.

I got the bad hydraulic hose off and am having a new one made. I have the lift cylinder at the shop being rebuilt (It leaked pretty bad). I was able to get all bottom rollers working. The machine is ready to go to work.

I am going to sell it. I am building a new house and need some cash. It is a nice machine and and good shape. If you are interested let me know. Thank you all for your input.

I have a 850 track loader with the 301 motor in it as well that i just picked up in a trade and it blew the head gasket while trying to get it started to load it onto my trailer to get it home so i went and bought a new head gasket and got it installed and can not find any info on what to set the valve lash to when its cold any help with proper valve lash adjustment would be very appreciated as its the only thing keeping me from starting it and using it

Attachments

• 5D1ED8C8-9F21-45B0-A787-02B8E83BECE8.jpeg
    5D1ED8C8-9F21-45B0-A787-02B8E83BECE8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • F76B772C-332A-49D1-BE2D-C941545F08B5.jpeg
    F76B772C-332A-49D1-BE2D-C941545F08B5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • CC2F3A71-F370-4DC1-A4DF-AB40182A25BE.jpeg
    CC2F3A71-F370-4DC1-A4DF-AB40182A25BE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 84043D6D-284A-4B76-989D-959B4A92F935.jpeg
    84043D6D-284A-4B76-989D-959B4A92F935.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Welder Dave

I have a 850 track loader with the 301 motor in it as well that i just picked up in a trade and it blew the head gasket while trying to get it started to load it onto my trailer to get it home so i went and bought a new head gasket and got it installed and can not find any info on what to set the valve lash to when its cold any help with proper valve lash adjustment would be very appreciated as its the only thing keeping me from starting it and using it
You should start a new thread with a title specific to your question, something like Case 850 valve lash.

You should start a new thread with a title specific to your question, something like Case 850 valve lash.
I know its ben a while from the last time i was on here and i did get the right info shortly after i posted my question got it all adjusted and started back up and found that the crack that was seen in the cylinder head between the valves was in deed where the coolant was going threw into the combustion cylinder so have ben looking for a replacement cylinder head with no luck so now looking for a newer diesel motor to r&r it with to get it up and going agin as it needs a compleat overhaul along with the head replacement
Just not sure what size or make or size would be equivalent in size shape and power as the original motor/ret up