• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1969 Case 580CK Transmission with Mechanical Shuttle (Use Clutch) Questions

rasman57

My 580CK has the 4 speed manual shifter with the hi-low shifter and the mechanical column mounted shuttle to move forward and reverse by use of the clutch. No reverse gear selection on the 4 speed shifter plate....you select your 1- 4 gear with clutch pushed in and either have the mechanical shuttle in forward or reverse and when you let the clutch out you are working. Stop... Push clutch in and move shuttle to reverse to back up etc...

I dug for a hour or so and drove back to the barn and parked. When I started it a week later the clutch does not seem to work ....I can start it but when I try to have the clutch in and move the mechanical forward reverse shuttle it want to grind gears. I can shut it off, and use the shuttle shifter to put it in forward or reverse and start it and it starts in gear moving as it starts but pressing the clutch in does nothing. The strange thing is that if I put a bit of pressure on the mechanical shuttle either forward or reverse it trys to move the tractor slightly..... creeps it....with or without clutch pressed but the pressing in of the clutch doesn't let me mesh the gears on the shuttle. I split this tractor a few years ago when the engine was rebuilt (159 gasser that runs like new) and put a new clutch in. So the disc is not the issue.

I am wondering if the mechanical shifter synco is the possible culprit . The service manual and parts book show one and it seems to me that the clutch allows me to select a gear in the tray but not allow the mechanical shuttle to engage. I am trying to get a grasp on how that shuttle and clutch work ahead of the trans. Slight pressure applied to the shuttle is clearly creating friction on the driveline as it will spin the tires slowly if they are up off the ground but grinds like hell if I go past slight pressure and try to put the shuttle in forward or reverse. Appreciate any experience or explanations of how the shuttle and clutch work that driveline so I can determine what I need to look for.

Ralph

Cbait580b

You said u replaced the clutch when u had the engine redone. The dry clutch works like any automotive clutch, press the pedal and the torque rotation to the trans is halted allowing gear and direction change. The shuttle is a fast way to change direction w/o having to grab a gear shift. Both the shuttle..hi/low and gear shift should all work with no grinding if the clutch is working properly. Using the loader alot using a dry clutch does wear the clutch faster. Take the cover plate off the left side of the bell housing and with the help of another person using a flash light see the the transmission shaft stops turning with the pedal depressed. Also check the free play in the clutch pedal, there should not be much more than an inch to inch and a half.

Cbait580b

Forgot to add.. the clutch disc could be stuck to the flywheel or the pressure plate causing it not to release when the pedal depressed. Can happen after alot of work and a bunch of rain. If you find that is the problem, after you get it unstuck figure out a way to partially depress the clutch pedal while parked.