1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1968 Clark Ranger 666B Starting issues

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Ciggie, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ciggie

Ciggie Member

Hello All,

I am new to the form, I have a 1968 Clark Ranger skidder with a 471 Detroit Diesel engine. I am getting a clicking sound when I push the start button. I have charged the batteries in it and I removed all the wires to the solenoid and cleaned it all up and re installed them. This worked to a day or two then it started to click again when I push the start button. I had someone hold the start button in and I crossed the two nuts on the solenoid and it cranked over no problem. after that is seem to work again with the start button. I am thinking is it the solenoid but is sure doesn't look like a common solenoid to me. any suggestions would be much appreciated. One other question I live in Northern Ontario Canada. Is there a block heater kit I can purchase for that engine? I have a inline heater on it but i won't warm it up at all..

Thanks
    Ciggie

2. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Sure sounds like bad contacts in the solenoid some can be disassembled pretty easy and the crud scraped and sanded off the copper disks and bolt head that make the contact Failing that you would need a replacement solenoid or starter assembly

Something like that should work for a block heater your auto parts store can order them in too
    https://www.amazon.com/Engine-DETROIT-Engines-without-compressor/dp/B01LY2P1VX

3. Ciggie

Ciggie Member

Thanks Jonas302,

That's great today I installed a inline heater in the bottom of the 2" hose off the rad. I have had some problems getting all the air out of the system since I refilled it with new coolant. I worked it a bit after 30 mins of running it at idle with the rad cap off but it shut down on me and stalled at idle. I let it cool down the temp gauge was reading 100 but I assume the thesostate did not open up... I have it back home and I am working on getting air locks out. I will remove the solenoid and clean it and see what happens... thanks
    Again eh cheers.

4. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I have a 666D with a 453 Detroit that had a similar issue with the starter a number of years ago. Mine had another remote solenoid on the engine side of the front of the cab that kicks the starter solenoid in. Kind of a goofy system but follow back from your starter solenoid wires and see where it takes you.

I ended up putting a push button starter button in the cab with 8 gauge wire that jumps the solenoid that's mounted to the starter. Problem solved.

5. Ciggie

Ciggie Member

Great thanks for the info