• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1968 Case 580CK hydraulics not working after cylinder rebuild

Ol Henry

I purchased a 1968 Case 580ck last year. Worked fine but had some pretty good cylinder leaks. Pulled and had them repacked and now have NO hydraulics at all. Nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Ol Henry

When I put it back together it ran good for about 20 minutes. Then bam nothing. I have refilled per the operator manual. Any other ideas? I’m totally stuck

AllDodge

Note, it was filled but after moving the cylinders it may have gone to low again. If its still where it should be, then it may have an air lock.

Loosen the line just barely on the cylinders which were repacked. Place a towel over the fitting so your not sprayed with oil. The move the linkage to move it. If oil starts spraying out, stop and tighten line. Repeat on other connections all while watching hydraulic oil level

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
My money is on a stripped pump coupler, I can't see air causing this problem on a running machine

I see it that way too. Especially since it ran fine for 20 minutes. If there was an air issue it most likely would have shown up within the first minute or so. There'd most likely be a lot of really bad noises coming from the pump if it was starving for oil too.

Tinkerer

Before you install a new pump, drain out as much of that contaminated oil you mentioned in your other thread.
Fill the tank with new oil and constantly keep it full when you first try the new pump.
If everything goes well you should do a complete system flush.
It should be done to have that pump last very long.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
The Case BH/LDRs of that era used upswept loader frames and when filled with hydraulic oil the 1/4 inch pipe plugs up by the radiator on top of the frames should be loosened and the trapped air left out then the frames refilled till no air is present up front and the frames are full, then check both after running and cycling the cylinder to assure the system is properly filled. If that procedure is not followed the pump has to pull that big air pocket out of both frames. That being said, I agree that your problem goes deeper than that. that is just for further reference. Usually a stripped coupler can be heard up front when the engine is running

Ol Henry

Finally got a little movement out of the 1968 case 580ck. BUT! Only about an inch then it stops again. Any ideas? Filled with oil, bled lines.