• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1967 Case 580CK dipper hose replacement

TSemenuk

Any recommendations on changing the dipper hoses. Should the boom be laying flat? Do I need to remove the cover from the bottom of the boom? Anything else I wouldn't expect?

Abseim

What model backhoe do you have?

Last month I bought a 1968 480ck with a model 26 loader and model 26 backhoe and I've learned that referencing the backhoe and loader model numbers is what you need to do when looking up parts and service manuals, etc

I just went through and did a full flush of the hydraulic system, and I was really nervous to start taking apart hoses and cylinders having only ever worked on basic lawn tractors and chainsaws before, but I quickly realized that other than having to think ahead where the oil is going to go, if the engine is off and the controls have been cycled to relax the cylinders, it's no big deal to take apart hoses and fittings, and it doesn't take a crazy amount of torque to tighten them back up to not leak.

The second week I had my tractor I went through the whole thing and sprayed penetrating oil on every single bolt and hydraulic fitting, and I still do that every weekend I work on it, but I just spray the ones I haven't been able to loosen yet. I recommend Seafoam Deep Creep after seeing the results of Project Farm's penetrating oil challenge on YouTube.

IMG_1524.jpeg

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Any recommendations on changing the dipper hoses. Should the boom be laying flat? Do I need to remove the cover from the bottom of the boom? Anything else I wouldn't expect?
Just set you boom down and take all pressure off of system by working levers with engine off. You may want to stretch the boom out a bit. You'll need a crowfoot wrench to get the lines loose and control valve and be sure and mark the hoses if you have to take multiple lines off.

TSemenuk

The backhoe ID plate is missing. The tractor is serial 8312830 so I've assumed the backhoe is a model 33. I took the skid plate off the bottom of the boom and it was full of oily debris. The hoses are disconnected but I doubt they will slide through the grooves in the bottom of the boom considering the extra size of the ends. Is it easiest to disconnect the boom pivot to move the boom away from the tower? IMG_2737.JPG

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
From a safety standpoint I wouldn't take the boom loose from the swing tower unless you have a good way to support it. The hoses will come through the grooves you may have to take more than one hose out though. Case was bad or good depending on how you look at it, by using 5/8" OD hose replacements are all 3/4" so there's that.

Occupation
Retired Heavy Wrecker Operator
I had one of my hoses split and leak last year. Because they were all about the same age, I replaced all four. Just lay the boom down like stated above and work what pressure may be in the lines by working the valves with engine off. I took a cutting wheel and cut the fitting off one hose and was able to fish all the hoses through and out of the boom that way. Clean all the grease and slim out of the there and it will be easier to put the new hoses in. I had my lines made by a truck shop near me and the newer hoses are made stronger with slightly smaller exterior lining while still maintaining the same inside diameter. You don't need to remove anything other than the hoses, it looks harder than it really is.