• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1966? Joy Air Vane 125

big builder

I have an old Joy air compressor. Tank is stamped 1966. IT has 4 cylinder gas engine. It has always served us well and I would like to rebuild. Does anyone have any idea where I could get a repair manual for this old machine?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I have an old Joy air compressor. Tank is stamped 1966. IT has 4 cylinder gas engine. It has always served us well and I would like to rebuild. Does anyone have any idea where I could get a repair manual for this old machine?

I don't know how commom those were but the first place that comes to mind would be EBay.

Welcome to HEF! :drinkup

big builder

I know Joy made compressors for along time but not anymore.

I will check out e-bay but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for your time country boy.

ccrscubby

Occupation
self employed: diesel mechanic/welder/fabricator/m
joy 125

Did you find what you need? I have a 1958 Joy 125. I bought a manual for it, but it's been about 8 years ago. If you still need one, let me know, and I'll find where it came from. I believe denver-gardner bought joy out, but i'll have to look to make sure.
bryan (cubby) ross
ccrscubby@yahoo.com

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF ccrscubby! :drinkup

big builder

Joy 125

Bryan,

I havn't been able to find anything! Any help will be greatly appreciated. It seems that the bolts holding the engine to compressor are broken and we have to separate to fix.

Thanks alot.

nedly05

any pics of the old beast? we have an old compressor but I have no idea what it is, curious if it looks the same!

Welcom to HEF both a ya!:drinkup

ccrscubby

Occupation
Thanks, Countryboy.....great to be here, also...
Big, the place I got my manual from has, naturally, gone out of business. However, if you want, email me your address, and I'll have my manual copied, and I'll be happy to send it to you.
Sorry, Nedly, no pictures of mine. It was origionally a pull type (trailer-mounted) compressor. I stripped it down, and mounted it on my service truck, so now it doesn't look anything like it did. If it is a Joy that you have, it should be easy to tell. They were proud of their name. Mine has name stamped into the radiator support, right above the grill, the seperator tank should have a plate with the build date, and mfg. name, and mine also has "Joy" tags everywhere they could think to put them. Most compressors have an ID. plate on them, and for the most part, at least the ones I've seen, for some strange reason, they are still intact.
I bought mine when I was just starting my road service business as a temporary kind of thing. I could pull it behind my first service truck, which was just a pickup. I figured when I built my big truck, I would get rid of it, and get something more modern, and smaller (joy airvane 125 weighs in at 3500 lbs). However, after running it my first winter, I couldn't bear to part with it. It's been 13 years now since I bought it, for $600, and I've probably only spent $500 on parts, ran it for countless hours, and it still runs like a swiss watch.
Most of the time when someone says "They don't build 'em like they used to!", I say, "Thank God they don't!" But in this case, never a truer word spoken.
Sorry for rambling on, but usually I don't have an audience that appreciates a great piece of equipment.:D
Have a wonderful day.:drinkup

big builder

That is exactly how I feel about this old girl. I too have taken off all the shrouding.

A copy of your manual would be fantastic! If it isn't too much to ask?
I will gladly pay what you would like. This is a repair manual right? Not owners manual.

I really do think that their are many more years left in it.

How did you find the year of yours? Mine has 1966 stamped on the oil tank.

Thanks for your help. I will forward you my contact info.

ccrscubby

Occupation
It is titled "Operation and Maintenance Manual". The title is misleading, though, as it is the factory service manual. Includes general descripion, automatic control system, electrical system, lubrication, operation, maintenance, corrective maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair parts catalog. Pretty much a "Joy 125 for Dummies". lol It is one of the most detailed and easy to follow manuals I have ever seen.
No problem sending it to you, but you will have to give me a week or so. I have a girlfriend that works at a print shop for these kind of deals, but at times, she can really drag her feet, but in the end she always comes through.
I was off a year, on mine. It is a 1959. I got the year off tank tag also, and confirmed it with same place i got manual.
Are you wanting to rebuild it because you are having problems, or because it's just overdue? Does your engine start good, or is it like mine was in the beginning? Meaning I had to crank it over for so long, it was practically at operating temp. when it would finally start. I have a really cool cure for that. Mine doesn't even turn over a full turn, and it runs... no more flooding, or $375 starters, etc. I also did away with all that automatic throttle crap, and governor, etc. Definitely a case where less is better in my humble opinion.
Crap, i gotta get back to work. After all, this is a post, not a book.
Feel free to ask if you have tech problems. The first couple of years, I didn't have to buy a lot of parts, but I definitely spent some ungodly hours upon hours getting the bugs fixed in mine.
I'm outta here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Occupation
owner of ProTek Sandblasting & painting
i have a 1972 jaeger 150 cfm it has a 225 slant 6 in it. your joy would be a very similar comp and if my memory serves me correctly im thinkin it would be a continental 4 banger in yours i could be wrong tho. Your best bet is to call Compair and ask them, there service guys seem to know about all those older units.

Matt99

Thanks, Countryboy.....great to be here, also...
Big, the place I got my manual from has, naturally, gone out of business. However, if you want, email me your address, and I'll have my manual copied, and I'll be happy to send it to you.
Sorry, Nedly, no pictures of mine. It was origionally a pull type (trailer-mounted) compressor. I stripped it down, and mounted it on my service truck, so now it doesn't look anything like it did. If it is a Joy that you have, it should be easy to tell. They were proud of their name. Mine has name stamped into the radiator support, right above the grill, the seperator tank should have a plate with the build date, and mfg. name, and mine also has "Joy" tags everywhere they could think to put them. Most compressors have an ID. plate on them, and for the most part, at least the ones I've seen, for some strange reason, they are still intact.
I bought mine when I was just starting my road service business as a temporary kind of thing. I could pull it behind my first service truck, which was just a pickup. I figured when I built my big truck, I would get rid of it, and get something more modern, and smaller (joy airvane 125 weighs in at 3500 lbs). However, after running it my first winter, I couldn't bear to part with it. It's been 13 years now since I bought it, for $600, and I've probably only spent $500 on parts, ran it for countless hours, and it still runs like a swiss watch.
Most of the time when someone says "They don't build 'em like they used to!", I say, "Thank God they don't!" But in this case, never a truer word spoken.
Sorry for rambling on, but usually I don't have an audience that appreciates a great piece of equipment.:D
Have a wonderful day.:drinkup
I just got a joy 125 need to know what type of oil to put in the oil tank for compressor I also need a Manual and operators manual my email ismatthewstill99@gmail.com

Matt99

It’s a 1959 need to make sure I turn everything on correctly

Attachments

• E177BA9C-1E1B-451F-8CBD-33F6FD2599A7.jpeg
    E177BA9C-1E1B-451F-8CBD-33F6FD2599A7.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
  • A50CAE6B-0253-4446-9730-7F41A2EEF438.jpeg
    A50CAE6B-0253-4446-9730-7F41A2EEF438.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 1BE6CCF2-BD6F-4FCA-B8A6-B7EA831F2EC8.jpeg
    1BE6CCF2-BD6F-4FCA-B8A6-B7EA831F2EC8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 3B389D92-4A5C-40C1-9A80-F9727FF94138.jpeg
    3B389D92-4A5C-40C1-9A80-F9727FF94138.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

Matt99

That is exactly how I feel about this old girl. I too have taken off all the shrouding.

A copy of your manual would be fantastic! If it isn't too much to ask?
I will gladly pay what you would like. This is a repair manual right? Not owners manual.

I really do think that their are many more years left in it.

How did you find the year of yours? Mine has 1966 stamped on the oil tank.

Thanks for your help. I will forward you my contact info.
Can you tell me what kind of oil to put in compressor resivor