1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

1966 F850 dump truck help needed

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by helpless007, Jun 6, 2022.

1. helpless007

helpless007 Member

Please help. I got gifted a 1966 T855 tandem dump truck. I have no idea how to shift this beast. Has 2 shifters. First one is pretty basic, that second one is very strange to me. On the shift knob, lower left has a "U", lower right has a "D", upper right has an "O". Does anyone know what the who these stand for? Thanks in advance for any help. IMGP2590.JPG IMGP2591.JPG

2. materthegreater

materthegreater Well-Known Member

A wild guess would be under drive, direct, and overdrive. But I really have no clue

56wrench and Truck Shop like this.
  3. willie59

willie59 Administrator

Service Manager
    Most likely a main transmission and an auxiliary transmission setup, pretty common of trucks of that era. Main tranny is typically a 4 or 5 speed, 1st gear is typically a granny gear. The hog box, auxiliary, is typically 2, 3 or 4 speed. On yours, U, D, O, that's Underdrive, Direct, and Overdrive.

4. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    There are a bunch of ways to drive those old trucks. We had a grain truck with that setup. Best advice I can give is don’t get both boxes in neutral at the same time and keep it simple. You don’t need to run all the main gears through each gear in the aux. With some practice you can go something like this…..
    Main in low, aux in under to start. Shift a gear or two in the main then shift aux from under to direct, run the rest of the main box to high gear then go overdrive in the aux. Once you’ve done this a few times you’ll start to figure out what gears it likes. You can also use direct and over in the aux to split each gear in the main. Under is generally to get rolling loaded or creep around in the field.

Our tandem grain truck would struggle in overdrive with a full load so keep that in mind.

5. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    It posted my reply twice for some reason.

6. Jumbo

Jumbo Senior Member

retired
    I'm going to be the wet blanket on this party. You weren't "gifted" you've been stuck with it. The brakes are worthless on that truck, way too small.

Truck Shop likes this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    ^^^

8. helpless007

helpless007 Member

Thanks. That helps.

9. helpless007

helpless007 Member

Not stuck with it. Only going to be used on my property for a while then selling it. The truck could not be made legal again anyways, has copper air lines. So old school.

Truck Shop likes this.
  10. helpless007

helpless007 Member

Thanks for the input. That really helps.

11. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I would like to see a picture of your truck.

doublewide likes this.
  12. helpless007

helpless007 Member

Hope the picture doesn't crack your screen. Oldie but goodie. Both of them. IMGP2592.JPG

redneckracin, Pixie, Old Doug and 3 others like this.
  13. FWD

FWD Well-Known Member

I had lot's of miles on trucks like that, mostly Fords too. We did lots of work with them back in the day.
    FWD

doublewide and shopguy like this.
  14. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Perfect truck for that job I bet it has some deep gears to crawl with

15. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Is it gas or diesel powered?

16. helpless007

helpless007 Member

Lots of gas powered. Has a 534 with a Holley 600 double pumper feeding the monster motor.

17. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Most I've seen had a Cat 1160 diesel engine and a 5 and 4 transmission set up. Still completely gut less but we drove up hills empty and came back down with a load. The only reason the cops ever pulled one of those trucks over was for a missing mud flap.

18. helpless007

helpless007 Member

I am not a truck driver. Still trying to figure out the shifting. It is either a 3 and 3 or a 5 and 3 transmission. It also has a split differential. The dang linkages are missing for the differential and the shifting fork is messed up for the secondary. Using the beast though for some gravel relocation projects on my property.

19. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

That is a lot of gears to choose from.

20. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Mean to tell me copper air lines are outlawed on the road.