• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1965 Case 450 steering issue

Garrettb87

I Bought a 1965 Case 450 Dozer for $4,000, my 1st ever heavy equipment. its starts and runs but the driver side steering wont engage, only the passenger side will have power to turn and it will go straight no problem, only when i try to engage the driver side lever, no power will be delivered to the tracks. what should be my plan of attack on this one to diagnose the issue? is it the lever box under the seat or the final drive?

here is the video of it being delivered
second video

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
If your right hand brake pedal is sticking ( not returning to full height) it could be declutching the transmission. If you push a brake down partially it will put the track on that side in neutral.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
So if you put both levers in the high forward position the machine tracks to the right, is this correct? Also in the second video I didn't see brake pedals I'm assuming they are there just couldn't see them. The brake master cylinders are under the floorboard BTW.

Garrettb87

Thanks for the response guys, heres another video i made, basically if I want to engage the driver side lever I have zero power going to the driver side track but if I engage both it will go straight for the most part but it does slightly veer to the left.

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I can't really tell where your levers are and what the dozer is doing the way you videoed it. So are you saying the left track doesn't work in forward in both hi and lo or just one of them. Also please use left and right since this goes all over the world driver and passenger sides are different.

Garrettb87

I can't really tell where your levers are and what the dozer is doing the way you videoed it. So are you saying the left track doesn't work in forward in both hi and lo or just one of them. Also please use left and right since this goes all over the world driver and passenger sides are different.
Yes sir next time I get out there I'll get a better video for you

Bluox

Man, I hope you got a kiss when you bought that turd.
This little gem was told to me by a 70 +year old woman when I asked how much her husband had paid for a derelict tractor.
Look on the seat base behind your left foot, should be a valve with a knob on it.
That valve is a brake declutch valve. One way with brake on it will kick the transmission out of gear. Don't remember which way.
Lift the floor plate and see if one of the brake shafts is part way applied.
That brake set up was always **** poor and people didn't fix them 30 years ago.
If you can find someone who has worked on one of those you will be way ahead.
Bad Bob

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Driving long distances high speed is going to wear your undercarriage out a lot quicker. If you post a video of a problem try to make it short. More than a couple minutes people will lose interest if it isn't related to the problem. If it's a video of the machine doing some work it can be a little longer if it's interesting.