• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1963 Deere 820/2010 Final Drive removal

iowahill

Occupation
Retired, owner of Thomas Fischer Company, consultant
I picked up this 1963 John Deere 820/2020 track loader backhoe at auction that has a locked up final drive. In taking it apart the left side brake and clutch compartment is dry and looks okay, but the right side was full of water and rust, and even what appears to be mud. And a LOT of it that looks like it's been in there a very long time. Some relatively new looking cotter pins and a missing clip off the track master pin tell me someone had been in there before trying to get stuff apart but gave up.

I have it down to the point of pulling out the final drive and clutch shaft which is solidly bonded to the drum becuase of the splines. I've soaked the whole area liberally with diesel fuel and PB Blaster to try to free it up. I have threaded a 7/16-14 grade 8 bolt into the threaded end of the shaft which would normally come out the side, but can only pull it until the drum comes in contact with the side of housing.

getting heat onto the hub would most likely break it free, but in doing so would require destroying the pressure plate and probably a few of the steel and fiber clutch disks. parts are scarce and I don't want to destroy something I might not be able to replace so am looking for ideas or suggestions from members of this forum.

Is there a better and more robust puller setup than my current method of using the bolt and bridge arrangement? Or maybe another approach? Here are some pictures: