• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1960 B75 Mack

JAKES.

That Is going to be a sharp looking B model! I like the idea of setting it on the Freightliner chassis ;that has got the wheels in my head turning about my B61 restoration. Now I wish I was setting my cab onto an R chassis! Oh well Probably only drive it for short runs anyways. I am watching and learning (and likely borrowing ideas!) I am just starting to gut the replacement cab I have,those earlier pics of your cab and doors back from the soda blasters inspired me to get back to work so thank you for the inspiration!

Truck Shop

Been working on the internal door parts, registers, crank gear and door latches-those parts are all cleaned lubed and ready to go. Rebuilt the door hinges the pins were either
froze or broken. Disassembled the wing vents removed glass and seals, cleaned those up and having tinted glass cut and installed along with tinted side windows.
Bought a 12 volt wiper motor for a 53 chevy that I can modify to my wiper arms. Taking the outside door handles and bull dog/radiator cap to the chrome shop this Friday.
Cut the back out of the B61 cab I had, took it to the body guy to repair the B75 cab plus cleaned all the small cab parts and pieces for painting. Besides lengthening the nose-
hood and fenders forward one foot I decided to also raise the whole nose and cab 2". A person will barely notice it but it will give a bunch more room under the cab and hood.
Plus I'm not trying to build a low rider or using that silly term {slammed} type of a rig. If anything a person could actually use this truck when I'm done.

Truck Shop

JAKES.

i like the 12 v wiper motor idea! Since I just set up my B61 neg ground 12 volt new delco m39 starter new wire harness..I thinkI will do away with air wipers too! Question: do I need to find specifically a 53 Chevy 12v wiper motor? Or are there other types that are easily modified to work? Thank you again Truck Shop for another idea to "borrow"!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My '54 Olds was 12v factory. Know of at least Caddy, Olds and Buick using 12v from 1953, IIRC saw a 1953 GMC 630(?) with 12v system.

Truck Shop

One reason projects like this one end up abandoned so many times is when people find out what the costs are to properly re-build a vehicle. Just having stainless re-finished or
chrome plating done can run some money. To have the original solid brass radiator fill cap with the solid brass bull dog re-chromed {$500 bucks}. That's why so many rigs end
up half torn apart/parts lost and enthusiasm gone. Mastercraft Chrome plating in Seattle is the shop doing the work for me, I'm sure it will look like new. The chroming solutions
and waste removal have gotten very expensive for plating shops so many went out of business.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brothers did cars, old Pontiacs, was not unreasonable for them to tag up to $30,000 in a restoration in them. I avoided that as best I could, just have my old rusting iron to deal with these days.

JAKES.

Another reason the restoration projects get abandoned (in my case) is going In too many different directions. In the year and a half since I began My B61 resto I have acquired a B42, and a 56 Autocar ;I guess it is the thrill of the hunt I like and the initial purchase price is usually about as much as it is to rechrome a rad cap!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not to get too far OT here but I agree making a project look pretty can get expensive fast.
An example on a much smaller scale is the XS650 Yamaha I am slowly working on, slowly and working on are key words here!
Bought bike back in 2008, I did say slowly right?, for all of $75.00. Ordered new wiring harness, some brake seal kits, carb kits and other odds and ends for $207. At this point I have had bike running with the addition of a few part I had laying around.

Now if I wanted to make this bike look nice it would need a complete new exhaust system just that one additional item would push the cost another $500.+. And I would not even want to know what a good paint job of the "tins" would cost. That is why I am leaning towards the "Barn Find" look, just a good soap and water scrubbing and only replace more or less "safety related" parts like the dry rotted tires.

I thoroughly enjoy seeing the out come of a project like this B75!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had myself a XS 'Special' 650 Yamaha in 1977, always put my hands and feet to sleep, traded it for a 78 XS850 then in 81 traded up again to an XS1100(BAD choice). That 1100 was BADASS and would go 'on the pipe' like a two stroke around 4500rpm, when lit up would scream to 10k and stand up on the rear tire, found that out the first day, first ride from the first traffic light take off not 5 miles on it. Scared the PEEWADDINS out of my sorry little butt!!

petepilot

Had myself a XS 'Special' 650 Yamaha in 1977, always put my hands and feet to sleep, traded it for a 78 XS850 then in 81 traded up again to an XS1100(BAD choice). That 1100 was BADASS and would go 'on the pipe' like a two stroke around 4500rpm, when lit up would scream to 10k and stand up on the rear tire, found that out the first day, first ride from the first traffic light take off not 5 miles on it. Scared the PEEWADDINS out of my sorry little butt!!
had a run in with a 750 norton like that

Truck Shop

Every project (of this type) that I've completed has always managed to exceed an unlimited budget. It's just how it works I think.

The miscalculated build expense is what kills most rebuilds. Most of it in body parts and body work. Figure body work 6 to 7,000 interior parts 5,000 special metal work 2,500. The main thing
is knowing where the parts are for a low cost. In my case the running gear, steering box, engine/ transmission and rear drives cost 700. But this is my last rig I will build in my life and I plan
to take it to shows when I retire. And by building a stretch hood B75 I think it will be the only one on the planet, I always have to be different so I've been told. And it won't reside on the east coast.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

And because this thread has taken a short twist for motorcycles I will talk about a major incident that happened to me in 1982. I have owned 24 cycles by the way.

I was on a Yamaha Seca 750 headed over White Pass - US 12 headed west about 4 miles from Trout Lodge. I was cruising around 65 when a pickup with canape
towing a two axle travel trailer past me going east. At the same time he passed by a strong side wind/gust coming off the slope on my right side combined with
trailing gust from the camper. I always ride in the center of my lane so I have more real-estate to use in an instant. The gusts blew my toward the center line
I was then in the left tire track for cars heading into a right hand corner/turn.

A chevy citation came around the corner headed east a two feet over the center line.------------------------I made contact dead center of the left headlight. The car was
one year old, my bike one year old both totaled. The impact was so hard it diamond the body on the car, ripped the left front drive wheel and strut off. The front forks
and wheel on my bike were even with the rear wheel, it opened the crank case so you could see the crank and rods. My helmet hit the windshield corner post dead center,
my shoulder went into the windshield. My left leg and foot got caught between the bike and fender, shredded my leg and my foot, the toes on my left foot are fused at
the joints/ my toes were separated about 2 1/2" at the time it happened. The only reason I didn't loose my left foot was because I was wearing a pair of White's Elk Hide
Packers. White boots are tough A$$ Sons O B!tches. My pony soldier leather jacket/gloves took the rest because it pitched me another 30" rolling and tumbling before
I landed in the ditch on the right. The helmet was ground down to the third layer of fiberglass on both sides and cracked down the middle. It was a BELL made on a
Wednesday for sure.

I sold my last bike a GL1800 Wing 2005 model over four years ago, I owned three Wings. So when I see people ridding without proper gear it makes me cringe. What a dumb A$$
they are. I had nightmares for almost 10 years after that crash-I would wake up in a cold sweat just before I made contact for the 500th time over and over again.

Michael Paul Flake

petepilot

And because this thread has taken a short twist for motorcycles I will talk about a major incident that happened to me in 1982. I have owned 24 cycles by the way.

I was on a Yamaha Seca 750 headed over White Pass - US 12 headed west about 4 miles from Trout Lodge. I was cruising around 65 when a pickup with canape
towing a two axle travel trailer past me going east. At the same time he passed by a strong side wind/gust coming off the slope on my right side combined with
trailing gust from the camper. I always ride in the center of my lane so I have more real-estate to use in an instant. The gusts blew my toward the center line
I was then in the left tire track for cars heading into a right hand corner/turn.

A chevy citation came around the corner headed east a two feet over the center line.------------------------I made contact dead center of the left headlight. The car was
one year old, my bike one year old both totaled. The impact was so hard it diamond the body on the car, ripped the left front drive wheel and strut off. The front forks
and wheel on my bike were even with the rear wheel, it opened the crank case so you could see the crank and rods. My helmet hit the windshield corner post dead center,
my shoulder went into the windshield. My left leg and foot got caught between the bike and fender, shredded my leg and my foot, the toes on my left foot are fused at
the joints/ my toes were separated about 2 1/2" at the time it happened. The only reason I didn't loose my left foot was because I was wearing a pair of White's Elk Hide
Packers. White boots are tough A$$ Sons O B!tches. My pony soldier leather jacket/gloves took the rest because it pitched me another 30" rolling and tumbling before
I landed in the ditch on the right. The helmet was ground down to the third layer of fiberglass on both sides and cracked down the middle. It was a BELL made on a
Wednesday for sure.

I sold my last bike a GL1800 Wing 2005 model over four years ago, I owned three Wings. So when I see people ridding without proper gear it makes me cringe. What a dumb A$$
they are. I had nightmares for almost 10 years after that crash-I would wake up in a cold sweat just before I made contact for the 500th time over and over again.

Michael Paul Flake
I did`nt lose the norton managed to get it stopped safely but so damn close i never rode it again . i cranked the throttle a little to hard when i went to 3rd gear and it literely ran out from under me. decided that was to much cycle for me . my brother inlaw survived a wreck similar to yours in va beach va some years ago car made a left turn in front of him his bike was a harly 74 which took the whole left front end off a67 mercury station wagon he went through the windsheild knocked over both seats and landed against the tailgate inside the car. ok i`m done with motorcycles