• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1948 Austin Western Model 55 Road Grader

Old Doug

I would have hated to sell that but i need to sell some of my toys io.

chisel_maker

It was hard to let her go. My Wife had always said I replaced her with a red head. I guess I'll have to spend more time with the wife again. A few more pics.20180318_133612-EFFECTS.jpg 20180318_133634.jpg 20180318_133651.jpg

DB2

Very nice. What was the hook shaped device extending up from the floorboard? Also what did the modern looking hydraulic valve control ?

chisel_maker

The hook handle is a lock for blade rotation. The valve was installed to rotate the blade. It was originally a hand crank.

Reactions: DB2

petepilot

there is another one of those 100 miles from me minus the cab top and not nearly as good looking but still runs. its real hard to steer and has a 4 cyl int gas engine. whats something like that worth?

chisel_maker

They do steer real hard. I gave $3500 for it 10 years ago. Had a lot of fun with her during that time. We live on a mile long dirt road and she maintained it well. After 10 years I still made a nice profit on her.

petepilot

one i`m talking about belongs to a friend I have offered to put some kind of power steering unit on it for him but he has never taken me seriously enough to bring it here. he to has a mile or more of gravel to keep up with

Clawed Backster

I think that there would be a market for a modern version of that machine. Something VERY basic, but large enough to actually get some work done. Not everyone needs a quarter million dollar Cat or Deere.

Reactions: DB2

Old Doug

I think that there would be a market for a modern version of that machine. Something VERY basic, but large enough to actually get some work done. Not everyone needs a quarter million dollar Cat or Deere.
Theres a million things wrong with that kind of thinking.For one its the kind of thing i would want.