• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1947 D7N pony motor no spark

AJsOffroad

Hi. We are having problems getting our 1947 D7N's (? on the N) pony motor to start. It turns over fine but just seems to not have any spark. Can somebody help us through this. Thanks in advance.:usa

LonestarCobra

If your plug wires are good, and the mag is not grounding out somewhere, check inside the mag for rust etc., and make sure it impulses when spun over.

MrElectric03

They can be a pain if they havent been started in a while, we once got a D4 on trade in, the guys dad had bought it in the 40s and he traded it in on a new D4. It was pretty cool, we ended up using a longer rope to start the pony motor and I think we even had to pull it with a golf cart.

hi-ball

I put new solid core wires & spark plugs when I had a d6 there cheap to buy
I bought the wires from a parts store (automotive performance section)you cut to fit, just make sure the spark plug boots fit snug or they can ground out & try not to let the wires touch the machine. Later, Shane.

AJsOffroad

Thanks Guys. Right now we are in the process of relocating our shop. So for now we just pushed it on the trailer. When we get some time we'll try your suggestions.

Thanks Again.:usa AJ

DPete

Pull the mag cap and file the points, if you get spark put a little gas in the spark plug holes. Don't ask me how I know that:D

counter

Occupation
manager
this will be no help, just some reading!back in 1974, dad and i were building a barn from green , fresh cut lumber.as we went upwards we found that some of the 6x6 beams that needed elevated was not possible by hand! we were on rural property and had some acres.the guy next door had an old cat t-loader from the 50's back in the woods!the nieghbor guy said , go a head and use it.we went down in the woods,with ether and hope! that darn pony started! and shortly later that old cat started too on that old varnish in the tank!!!!! that old loader ,did what we needed, and silently went down in the woods!!!!!