• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1940 Unit Crane

Lashlander

The cannery I was working on has this old crane on the dock that was manufactured in 1940. Its used daily during the Salmon season to set skiffs in the water and load their tenders with supplies. Cabs about rusted off of it but still runs good.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Wow Lash, great pics. :thumbsup

You got any specs for it, tonnage wise?

Lashlander

I think its a 15 tonner. I can't be sure. Theres no load chart in it. I'm not sure they came with them back then. We had an old Bucyrus Erie 22B that was manufactured in the late forties and it appears to be about the same size. It was rated for 15 ton. A few years ago I drove 200 piling for another cannery in Bristol Bay with it. No air or hydraulics on it. All manual linkages. The operator is the hardest working guy on the crew. I'll see if I can find some pics of it one of these days.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Welcome back.Glad you took your camera!!Ron G

wrenchbender

Great Pics

Hey, be easy on the old gal she's been around a while. And for the vintage I think it looks darn good:cool: . I know some track hoes around here that are less than half the age of this one that look way worse. I guess those chains are to keep anyone from stealing it:rolleyes: Then again I could be wrong:beatsme

Lashlander

Why the license plate?

I think someone was just being funny! In 1990 we picked this crane off the dock with our crane and set it on our barge. We then drove new piling under it and set it back up there so I know it hasn't moved since then.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Looks a little old the Tremclad must be holding it together :D

Those old conventionals are good till the break then good luck trying to find parts for it. I don't know what breed that one is may be a Bantam ?

Lashlander

It was manufactured by Unit. This is the only Unit crane I've ever seen, although I've roughnecked on a few drilling rigs with drawworks made by Unit. I'm sure its the same Co.

DigDug

My friend has a Unit crane, he will sell it to me for $4000. I think someday i will buy it. It came from a navy base , and has tires around it instead of tracks. It is a 20 tonner i think. Maybe i can snap some pics of it soon.