• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1939 1H series D8 snow plow.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We better watch it or Old-Iron-Habit is going to chase us out of this thread with that old D8 for goin' too far OT!

I don't think so Ken. I have helped drag a few threads off topic myself. It's all interesting reading. It going to be a month before we fire this one up again anyway. The official ceremony is set for 10/19/19. I hope that 1H D8 pony motor don't get an attitude with a bigger crowd present. They are known for it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I don't think so Ken. I have helped drag a few threads off topic myself. It's all interesting reading. It going to be a month before we fire this one up again anyway. The official ceremony is set for 10/19/19. I hope that 1H D8 pony motor don't get an attitude with a bigger crowd present. They are known for it.

I know what you mean about some engines and crowds.

There is a say among guy with old kick start motorcycles that the number of kicks it takes to fire one up is directly related to the number of people watching!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Just wanted to update you folks on the startup. There was a public TV station there and also a retired Cat public relations film maker whom was hired out of retirement by Cat to do a free lance gig on it. I have not seen any film yet even though I was interviewed by both. The pony behaved well, even with the big crowd, and popped off on the second crank. The last person to run the snowplow when it came out of retirement briefly in 1979 heard about it and was on his way from Alaska for the event when his transfer case crapped in his pickup. He jumped on a plane and got here in time for the doings. It was only fitting that he sat in the cab and jerked the throttle when it was time to start the main. It fired easily. Now I am working with the Esko High School, honor role media students, whom are producing a documentary of the steps required to wake up and start the snowplow after a long nap. I kiddingly said that I will get the Finnish Oscar in 2050 when they look at it to figure out how to start it again. Esko's population is 90 percent Finnish heritage. The museum has asked the kids to do the documentary for their records after they realized they never had anyone that had a clue on starting it when they got the brain fart to do so. Future plans are to get it out of the viewing shed next summer and take it to the local Harvest Reunion and parade it. I'm still working on getting it out in the snow where it belongs. It may take a museum president change before that happens. Sorry I have no pictures at this time. I will post the media links when I get them. It should be on PBS for a week straight soon or so I was told.

old-iron-habit

Occupation

Sorry for the delay folks. I was playing in N.C. at Ederville Carthage. for 8 days and then on to Colorado playing in the mountain snow chasing the mythical antlered beasts.

Squatch253 video of start up. Still waiting for the PBS airing of the day.

Last edited: