• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c fuel gauge

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
My fuel gauge has been all kinds of flaky lately. So I finally set about figuring it out.
Grounded the wire going to the fuel sender and the gauge led's dropped to empty and blink.
remove wire from ground and gauge goes to full, so the gauge was working just fine.

So I got out the meter and tested the sender. It's suppose to be between 0 and 90 ohms.
Similar to most GM senders from 67 to 97. Mine was reading 32 M ohms. Big time wrong.
So I pull the sender. The inside of the rheostat looked like steel wool, broken strands everywhere.

So I went to the case dealer and they had one and a new gasket both in stock. Awesome.
Installing everything was a piece of cake. Gas gauge now works perfect again.
Running out sucks at -20F. That's all I got to say about that.

Interesting part is the new OEM rheostat looks virtually identical to some of the universal GM senders available.
It's just the mounting bracket that is different since the 1845c is side mount. All the universal senders are top mount.
You certainly could do a cut/chop/swap of just the rheostat and float and make one that worked if you had too.

20181229_160637.jpg 20181229_161355.jpg

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Good to know! mine is pegged at full 24/7
Yup, that's what they will do when they finally go bad. Disconnect the wire at the sender and ground it to test the actual gauge.

Here's a link to the one I saw online.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-7060b/overview/

Same rheostat, arm and float. Only difference is the bracket. On the OEM one's bracket is L shaped instead of straight, so the float in oriented up/down when mounted sideways. I should have taken a pic of the new one. OEM one was $120, online one was $37, so you could save a little money if you like to fabricate.