• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c chain tension

psu927

I just got done repairing a bearing on my 1845c and I tightened up all of the chains while I was in there to 1/8" deflection with moderate pressure per the case manual. Been running it fine, just wanted your guys input, this seems awful tight, is this what you guys adjust them to? Hate to have to pull the covers again since they are siliconed up real nice. lol

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
that seem's tight to me also it's been about 16 years since I had one. You do know that there is supposed to be a grease fitting on the axle housing to lube the bearings .

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Not sure where you got that spec from. That is too tight. Tension should be as follows: "Check the top strand of each front chain (at the middle between each sprocket) Push down and pull up using approximately 2.3 kg (5 pounds) force. The total deflection must be 13-25 mm (0.5-1 inch)."

The chains are a weak point on those machines. Proper tension is important.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not sure where you got that spec from. That is too tight. Tension should be as follows: "Check the top strand of each front chain (at the middle between each sprocket) Push down and pull up using approximately 2.3 kg (5 pounds) force. The total deflection must be 13-25 mm (0.5-1 inch)."

The chains are a weak point on those machines. Proper tension is important.

I say the time and effort to adjust them right will more than offset the cost of a new tube of silicon. Wheel hubs and the idler shaft both have grease fittngs.

psu927

Section 6007 of the service manual "1/8 to 1" checked at the rear of the front case opening, or the front of the rear cased opening".

GaryHoff

Occupation
Sounds like you have a older spec from the service manual. The 0.5-1 inch is the last spec that case released. I would only tighten the chains to 1/8" if I was installing new chains.

psu927

Since you cant measure at the middle between each sprocket, maybe 1/8" at the case opening would be equal to about 1/2" in the middle?

GaryHoff

Occupation
Personally I would just leave it. You will probably be back in there some time for a broken chain anyways. As long as there is some slack, you will probably be ok. As you mentioned, you measured at the case opening, so the middle of the chain will have higher slack.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
If there was a way to convert to 100H secondary and 80H primary on that dude, I bet the chain problems would be gone forever.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
make sure to check that your parking brake cables are good and snug when your lap bars are down or they will slip out and break your chains